New Well Produced/Recorded Alternative & Indie Artists
May 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

csteimnetz1

Head-Fier
I have found that a lot of the music from new Alternative & Indie bands is not well produced (which is to be expected to a point) and usually is not very pleasing to listen to in my moderately unforgiving setup. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with some new bands that have produced a good sounding album (generally as in they haven't compressed the tracks like crazy). I enjoy bands like Coldplay, Death Cab For Cutie, Travis, Silversun Pickups, Radiohead, and Phoenix all of who have pretty solid sounding albums but I am looking for some new artists in the same genre that also don't over compress or over process their music. Thanks.

Also if you are familiar with any other recordings in this genre that are known for their sound quality (regardless of whether they are a new band or not) please let me know.

May 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Mellowdrone, Brand New, Bloc Party, The xx, Portugal. The Man, We are Scientists, Tokyo Police Club.

I'll see if I can find some more. I used to listen to a ton of indie rock, some of my favorite music.

May 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 4
I'll second The XX - s/t. Mastered fairly hot, but good nevertheless.

Also a few new and not so new indies...

Fever Ray - s/t

Joanna Newsom - Have one on me. Warmish analogue sound. Love or hate vocals (I love)

Lambchop - Is a woman. Country indie. Outstanding sound quality on original CD. Haven't tried the more recent remaster

Lauri Anderson - Bright Red. Musically weird, even by Lauri standards. Outstanding SQ.

Arab Strap - Philophobia. Glaswegian indie. Don't play this in front of your parents (pleasant sounds - startlingly honest lyrics)

All of the above sound nothing like each other, and nothing like anyone else. And nothing like the OP's list - but if you don't try you don't know what you're missing.

May 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 4
All of Interpol's albums sound fantastic to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back