New welcome suggestions and HELP!
Sep 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hoarybat

New Head-Fier
Hi guys first time hear(PUN)!.  I have a pair of SennHeiser HD 202.  I can't wear them for more than 5 minutes because they are soooo uncomfortable and the ear cups don't surround my ear.  I don't like stuff in my ears so IEm's are out.  I was in Best Buy and tried all the headphones and only the Bose QC 15's were comfortable.  I wore them for 1hr and had no discomfort which was a first for me.  I am looking for another lightweight comfortable Noise cancelling, ear surrounding HP at half the price of the Bose 15's. Do you have any suggestions.  I have been diagnosed with chronic insomnia and almost killed myself driving to work after not sleeping enough for 2 days. I even failed at two sleep labs with them saying you need to go home at 1am since I was a lost cause.  The one thing that helps me fall asleep is the isochronic/binaural tones which relax me so am seeking the afformentioned to use with them.  I looked into the SleepPhones below but reviews said they had quality issues.  Looking forward to any expertise and advice you can give as my life is falling apart.  Most appreciative..  

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Sorry I'm not very familiar with noise canceling headphones and I know you didn't ask for medical advice, but have you ever had full thyroid & adrenaline blood tests done?

I was going through a period where I would literally sleep 1-2 hours per night and entire months would go by with me barely feeling like they happened because of the insomnia. Turned out I had a overactive thyroid gland and my body literally wasn't allowing itself to fall asleep on a chemical level. Doing better after treatment. Something to look into if you haven't already. Good luck insomnia is pure hell.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Are they separate tests?  I had a thyroid exam 2 years ago and that was ok.  Not sure about adrenaline.  Doctor diagnosed me with CFS which means you have no energy and they really can pinpoint but I think it and all my blood work which is poor in the last few months is due to lack of sleep.  I avg. 2-4 hours of sleep a day.  To get more I need heavy hitter sleeping pills which make me feel sicker so I am phasing those out and trying relaxing techniques which is why I am seeking NC Headphones and isochronic tones.  It takes a little while for the entrainment in many people. Appreciate your question.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm surprised the recommendations aren't rolling in because people here tend to really hate Bose (because of their prices) and eagerly suggest alternatives.

Adrenaline is a different test and a little more complicated. For the "full" test, they'll test your blood, administer a solution which triggers an adrenal reaction, then test your blood again a couple hours later to see if you reacted normally.

I had both my thyroid (T3, T4, TSH) and adrenal tests done and both came back normal.

6 months later out of desperation I had the same tests repeated at a different lab and read by a different doctor.
He said they "were off the map" and that I was so hyperthryoid that it was affecting everything from my blood sugar to my adrenaline to my blood circulation and vision.

Between stress relief, identifying allergens I need to avoid, sticking to a "caveman diet" (which is actually delicious and easy to follow), and very low dosages of medication, I'm sleeping OK again.

I sincerely hope you get through it. I remember having to drive through LA traffic without sleeping for 2 days then sitting through a calculus exam. My life was just a weird series of nervous daydreams for a while there.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes thanks for your amazing feedback and insight.  I will look into your suggestion since it sucks everyday feeling as if you have the flu without the vomiting symptoms but with the same lethargy and tiredness. NOT CANCER I know but still a hard year+ for me since I formerly had much vigor.  All the docs wanted to do was pump me full of antibiotics none of which worked and made me sicker so they said look elsewhere.  I am 5'-10" and used to weigh 150 lbs. skinny genes but am 129 lbs. now almost looking like a prisoner of war survivor now despite 3500 calories a day.  Like a friggin tapeworm!  I will look into this adrenaline/thyroid because I have been jumpy "fight or flee" issues when before I was a calm person.  My blood pressure has always been low but is even lower now @ 90/55. Every new doc I have seen has said "have u always been this low BP?".  I know that iodine helps the thyroid and my blood levels of that were fine.  Like a needle in a haystack.  Again many many thanks...HOARYBAT.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Sounds like we've been through a very similar experience. I'm also 5'10" and lost about 30 lbs regardless of how much i ate. I went from a fairly athletic guy into boxing & hiking to looking like gollem from lord of the rings..

Their solution? Heavy antibiotics & antidepressants, which did nothing but make me nauseated and borderline insane, because I was neither depressed in the first place nor did I have a bacterial infection. I just wanted to feel less twitchy and get some sleep.

Incompetent doctors can be scary. Even if it's not the thyroid or adrenal gland, keep pushing for a positive diagnosis. I ended up finally finding a good endocrinologist.

I remember how one doctor completely ignored everything I told him about my insomnia/weight loss/etc and only picked up my casual comment at the end of the visit about how the antibiotics were making my wrists feel weird. So he diagnosed me with carpal tunnel syndrome and billed $1,000. I mean What.

Alright, hopefully someone comes in and finds you some headphones :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back