New vs. vintage PCDPs
Jun 12, 2006 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

incognitoedleon

500+ Head-Fier
I searched through the topics and for some reason this topic hasn't really been discussed. I was wondering how old favorites like the D-311, D-33, D-303, etc. stacked up against newer high quality PCDP's like the D-NE920 or D-NE20. Are the newer ones better or still not as good as the vintage models? Or is there no clear consensus
biggrin.gif
?

Jun 12, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 6
The new models are more convenient and more portable, but IMHO the older models do sound more pleasant. I have a D-NE10 that I use portably, but I wouldn't rate it on par with my best units. That said, it's as good as many of the vintage units I've heard. Most portable audio gear, at least in my experience, doesn't make it much past 'decent'...and that's including the vintage stuff.

Something like the D-NE10 will probably do a fine job for you portably. If you're looking for something for home use, it may be more cost effective to get some sort of deck unless you're into getting obscure units and physically modifying them (like me! :p)

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 6
I would say IMO that the vintage units has a better sounding sq than the current crop of Sony PCDPs. I currently own a D-NE920, D-211, and D-303. However, if you're searching for something that's better suited for portablility, longer battery duration, and the ablility to play MP3s and don't mind sacrificing a little on sq than I'd recommend going with the current crop of Sony PCDPs. If sq is the primary deciding factor and you don't care about portability, MP3 playback and battery duration then go for a vintage PCDP.

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 6
having had quite a life on pdcp ( vintage and more recent ) , and also something on daps , I'll tell it that my panasonic ct-470 is the perfect choice for soundq. + convenience + battery if pdcp on the go is your choice.

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 6
There are much, much better DACs and headamps in the old units as opposed to the current generation ones. My D311 and PCD5400 sound way better than my new D-NE920. It's flat, two-dimensional, and muddy in comparison. Of course, the higher-quality DACs and headamps also consume a lot more power.

The main advantages of the new PCDP are: 1) digital optical output 2) long battery life 3) good anti-skip. I'd recommend new PCDP's as digital transports in transportable systems... but that's about it.

On that note, I haven't used the vintage stuff once I got my MicroDAC. They may be better than current-gen PCDP's, but the MicroDAC beats them quite handily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back