New vs used?
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 20
That is the trade off.
If youre buying used gear from Head-Fi make sure you look at the sellers trader feedback.If he/she has multiple positive transactions that will go a long ways to prevent you from getting burned.

Ive done many transactions here and except for getting tricked by a serial scammer I have had no problems(knock on wood)
Also make sure you use the "Goods and Services" option on Paypal.I did and got a total refund on the one time mentioned above.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 20
That is the trade off.
If youre buying used gear from Head-Fi make sure you look at the sellers trader feedback.If he/she has multiple positive transactions that will go a long ways to prevent you from getting burned.

Ive done many transactions here and except for getting tricked by a serial scammer I have had no problems(knock on wood)
Also make sure you use the "Goods and Services" option on Paypal.I did and got a total refund on the one time mentioned above.
is there a proper way to use goods and services? like item descriptions, etc

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 20
It comes up as the first option when you try to pay someone.Its either Goods and Services or Send money to friends/relatives,which saves you 4%,but not only is that a foolish way to try and save 4%,its actually against Head-Fi's policy to do so.

If you choose the latter option and the headphone is broken or any other issue arises you will be schiit outta luck trying to get a refund.

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 20
It comes up as the first option when you try to pay someone.Its either Goods and Services or Send money to friends/relatives,which saves you 4%,but not only is that a foolish way to try and save 4%,its actually against Head-Fi's policy to do so.

If you choose the latter option and the headphone is broken or any other issue arises you will be schiit outta luck trying to get a refund.
The biggest worry I have is that I have never had a great pair of headphones, so if there are something wrong with them and they sound bad, I feel like I wouldn't know.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 20
As I said prior,buy from a long-time member who has many positive transactions.If there is an issue with the headphones,either technically or cosmetic the ad will usually say so.

Use this ad for example

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-800.875676/

A great headphone at a great price sold by a well known member with a +47 trade history.This is the type of member you want to deal with.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 20
As I said prior,buy from a long-time member who has many positive transactions.If there is an issue with the headphones,either technically or cosmetic the ad will usually say so.

Use this ad for example

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-800.875676/

A great headphone at a great price sold by a well known member with a +47 trade history.This is the type of member you want to deal with.
Not just on this site though. Reverb has some decent deals, for example.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 20
Can't help you there

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 20
I will say getting one from the authorized store is better:

1. Genuine item confirmation.
2. Servicing and warranty. Some seller buy the set from overseas and the warranty is not covered locally. It will burn your pocket if you need to send back for servicing.
3. Demo before getting one.
4. More experienced staff to give opinions.

Getting from the physical store will give you the most benefits although the price is slightly higher. I always get mine from store.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 20
I will say getting one from the authorized store is better:

1. Genuine item confirmation.
2. Servicing and warranty. Some seller buy the set from overseas and the warranty is not covered locally. It will burn your pocket if you need to send back for servicing.
3. Demo before getting one.
4. More experienced staff to give opinions.

Getting from the physical store will give you the most benefits although the price is slightly higher. I always get mine from store.
Another problem I have is.. I don't know what stores are authorized online retailers or not. For example I was looking into buying https://reverb.com/item/7229906-sennheiser-sennheiser-hd-800-s-dynamic-open-back-stereo-headphones as they are new and 300$ less then straight from Sennheiser. I messaged the company and asked if they are authorized, but I basically got a yes in broken English so I'm not even sure if they understood my question. I also found it suspicious that they have 10+ in stock on Reverb but 0 in stock on their actual website.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 20
I almost always buy used, and mostly here on Head-Fi, from a seller with a good reputation. I've yet to have a problem with any seller here on my biggest purchases (admittedly, most I've purchased are mid-fi cans, HE-500, for example.) I accept that there is *some* risk even then, no warranty in almost every case, but for me, it's worth the risk, and I usually only pull the trigger on a used set after doing a *lot* of reading of reviews, impressions, and get a decent sense of whether I am likely to like them.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 20
Another problem I have is.. I don't know what stores are authorized online retailers or not. For example I was looking into buying https://reverb.com/item/7229906-sennheiser-sennheiser-hd-800-s-dynamic-open-back-stereo-headphones as they are new and 300$ less then straight from Sennheiser. I messaged the company and asked if they are authorized, but I basically got a yes in broken English so I'm not even sure if they understood my question. I also found it suspicious that they have 10+ in stock on Reverb but 0 in stock on their actual website.
For Sennheiser, you can always check on this website https://en-us.sennheiser.com/dealer-locator to find the authorized dealer. There will be a code beside the box to check whether the product is genuine.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 20
If you could check for me, I would really appreciate it <3 :) I just don't know what I'm doing, I tried :c
I think it will be good for you to directly get the headphone from Sennheiser. If you purchased from Sennheiser, there will be 2 years International Warranty provided you keep the box (the code at the side) and the invoice. Sennheiser has very good reputation in after sales service. I think it is worth to pay slightly more for their excellence service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back