(New vs Used) another help me get a new LP player thread
Jun 16, 2008 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

E Street Shuffle

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm wanting to get into vinyl, since the LP player handed down from my folks died I figured it's time to get a proper player. I've read a fair bit on here about buying Used is better than buying a newer player, I'd like a bit more info though, if I can ask.

The options at the moment are either a Project RPM III or a used Technics SL1200 MK2 down the road at the 2nd hand shop, for around the same price (the Technics player doesn't have a cartridge though and I'd need recommendations on that).

Aesthetically the RPM looks great, I like the simplistic design, and having something new is more appealing to me than having something used, but hey I'm in this for the sound not to sit there and stare at the equipment
biggrin.gif
I'm free to other suggestions, my budget would be $600 maximum (including cartridge) and keep in mind I'm in AUstralia so it's not as easy to get a used player down here (shipping over here from the states isn't something I'm keen on unless it's a 'bargain of the milennium' type of deal).

I'll be playing rock & roll on it, I'm not a classical fan at all.

Any help here would be great!

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 4
I would look for any entry level turntable with a Rega RB300 arm on it. A Rega Planar 3 will knock the Technics out of the park on a sound quality basis (Project I don't know, as I haven't listened directly to it). They can also be found used for about $300-400. Planar 2's, and P3's (albeit more expensive) are also great entry level tables.

Try reading this: AudioEnz - The Vinyl Anachronist: Surviving the Analog One-Two Punch

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdouglas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would look for any entry level turntable with a Rega RB300 arm on it. A Rega Planar 3 will knock the Technics out of the park on a sound quality basis (Project I don't know, as I haven't listened directly to it). They can also be found used for about $300-400. Planar 2's, and P3's (albeit more expensive) are also great entry level tables.

Try reading this: AudioEnz - The Vinyl Anachronist: Surviving the Analog One-Two Punch

What this Vinyl Anachronist guy says about Technics is classic uninformed "audiophile" bigotry which has more to do with British turntable marketing prowess than sound quality. Read this Technics SL-1200 MkII turntable - [English] for a more recent and balanced re-appraisal.

Rega arms are superb and their turntables arn't half bad but they can be a little expensive these days outside of Europe because of the currency exchange rates. In Australia I believe Pro-Ject are more keenly priced and their decks are every bit as good as Rega overall at the budget end of the market.

But the Technics is a serious bargain because it's motorboard is far superior to pretty much any sub 1000USD turntable and so it offers an upgrade path which most of the decks in this pricerange don't, namely in replacing the tonearm.

The obvious solution is combine Technics superb motorboard with Rega's excellent tonearm via Origin Live upgrades but to begin with a good Denon MC cart suits the old fashioned stock Technics arm fine and will make great music for you until you can afford to trade up.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 4
The SL1200 is a very decent table and the stock arm is actually quite capable. A stock 1210 with a sumiko headshell (for adjustable azimuth) and Denon DL110 plus possibly a Funk achromat would make a very decent setup for a reasonable outlay. Technics build is bulletproof and has nice ergonomics. There are lots of other tweaks if you can really be bothered but frankly if you want to just play music that is likely to make you very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back