New User: Comparing HD 555 and SR225i
Jan 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

artforme

100+ Head-Fier
I'm entering into the sonic world of great sound. Thanks to all whom have contributed reviews.

When attempting to purchases my first pair of head phones I found that I was overwhelmed by choices. Sennheiser was a company I was already familiar with, so I tried to find a sweet spot in their line up. I chose the HD 555 from Sennheiser because they are supposed to be good for people who wear glasses and watch movies. (I'm a graduate film student and wear glasses)

Although the more I researched quality headphones the name "Grado" kept popping up. So from the research I did on these boards, I determined that the SR225i's were a sweet spot in the line up, and would probably complement the HD 555s.

My first impressions of the HD 555s were mainly how comfortable they were, and also being impressed with the rather high quality of low frequencies. While watching a three hour movie I hardly was aware that they were on, something that I could not do with my previous 40 dollar 'studio' headphones. The headphones did warm up after about 20 hours of use while becoming more clear and defined, which was nice.

So just when I was getting used to the HD 555s the Grado SR225i's came in the mail today, a few days earlier than expected. When I first put on the headphones I was surprised about how comfortable they were, while not as comfortable as the HD 555s, I could see my self using these for many long listening sessions. Besides having mad street credit for being made in Brooklyn, USA, I also enjoy the stereophonic retro styling. So while the extreme low frequencies are not as full as the 555s, the overall sound is much more clear with the SR225i's. The SR225i's basically make the 555s seem a bit muddy. But overall I think they complement each other nicely, as I will probably use the SR225i's for music and basic film sound design, while using the HD 555s for watching movies, or music that needs a bit more depth on the low end of the spectrum. The Grado SR225i are so cool, they make me proud to be American.

Also, I just ordered the Little Dot Dac II, which I'm extremely excited about. I did not see a review of it, so I will attempt to make one when I get it.

Thanks for all the reviews!

Music listening to: Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Wild Beasts, Blade Runner Soundtrack (Mixture of FLAC and HQ MP3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back