New/Used HD MP3 player for under $100?
Oct 20, 2004 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

st5150

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm not too happy with my current mp3 player. Are there any decent HD mp3 players out there for under $100? Perhaps a popular one that is easily found used, a factory refurbished or an older surplus new model?

I know arcos had some back in the day that were the size of a walkman. Unfortunately I don't have the time or desire to research these classic hard drive based mp3 players, so I'm looking for some guidance from you guys.

What should I do?

I'm looking for something to hold me over until a 'modern' HD based mp3 player comes out that suits all my desires/needs.

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 19
try ebay

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 19
waste of time. move to next thread.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 19
i think a decent mp3/cd player is good for $100. but for a decent harddrive player its impossible, even used.

a 30gb zen xtra can be hard for $200 new. maybe search for it used on ebay.

the cheaper brands are probably not worth going for.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 19
Some of the Archos Jukebox Recorders (V.1 or V.2) can be had for $130 - $150. They are 20 gig and IMO decent players....but somewhat chunky.

I have a spare one I use now (see signature), but would not sell it for just $100. That's probably what you'll find on ebay...it's nearly impossible to find good, clean ones at that price.

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 19
Big D and Orestes, if you don't want to help the guy out, no one's forcing you to, but there's no reason to be so rude. I thought the original post was a polite and reasonable request. People often ask questions here, the answers to which can easily be found through internet research ("Where can I find a 20gig player with gapless playback and 10 hours of battery life?""). People come to the forum here to ask for help in streamlining their research, finding out which models to avoid, look at, etc.

The only thing about this thread that is a "waste of time" more than any other is Orestes' post calling it one.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by st5150
Hi everyone. I'm not too happy with my current mp3 player. Are there any decent HD mp3 players out there for under $100? Perhaps a popular one that is easily found used, a factory refurbished or an older surplus new model?

I know arcos had some back in the day that were the size of a walkman. Unfortunately I don't have the time or desire to research these classic hard drive based mp3 players, so I'm looking for some guidance from you guys.

What should I do?

I'm looking for something to hold me over until a 'modern' HD based mp3 player comes out that suits all my desires/needs.

If you can find a "decent" HD based player on Ebay or anywhere for $100 or less you would be extreamely lucky. My point is that you might have to increase your "budget" to at least $150 for a good HD MP3 player.

But on the other hand, a "low capacity" HD based player can be found on Ebay for 100 bucks or a little bit more, but don't expect anything fancy or loaded with fetures like built in FM or on the fly decodeing etc.

Maybe this particular one would suit you:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...726122744&rd=1

And for Big D, Don't reply if you dont have any intention to provide any help what so ever. The original post from st5150 wasn't offensive or rude, shame on you as a "100+" post member. Since your handle is quite easy to remember, I could imagine what kind of responds you would get from other forum members the next time you ask for help.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 19
I think that the Rio Nitrus should be around $100 ($120ish new maybe) used right now. It's only 1.5 GB though, barely a HD player. You might want to save up and increase your budget to get a nice, larger capacity player though.

The old Archos were kind of clunky, imo. The older ones might have reliability issues as well, as DAP lifespans are sometimes a bit short. Why not get a nice flash player for $100ish?

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Big D and Orestes, if you don't want to help the guy out, no one's forcing you to, but there's no reason to be so rude. I thought the original post was a polite and reasonable request. People often ask questions here, the answers to which can easily be found through internet research ("Where can I find a 20gig player with gapless playback and 10 hours of battery life?""). People come to the forum here to ask for help in streamlining their research, finding out which models to avoid, look at, etc.

The only thing about this thread that is a "waste of time" more than any other is Orestes' post calling it one.
rolleyes.gif

Well he clearly hasn't even bother with the search function as there is a wealth of information here already. Personally I think it is rude when asking for help to say that your own time is too precious to be bother to a little work yourself but then expect others to do it for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklord
And for Big D, shut the *** up if you dont have any intention to provide any help what so ever. The original post from st5150 wasn't offensive or rude, shame on you as a "100+" post member. Since your handle is quite easy to remember, I could imagine what kind of responds you would get from other forum members the next time you ask for help.

If I ask for help I've tried all options open to me first. My post isn't rude or abusive, just telling him to do a bit of searching before coming for help. If he does that then I am willing to offer some advice. Is my time less important than his?

As for the abuse, well you are likely to be banned before long, so enjoy Head-Fi while you can.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 19
that's my point. i said try ebay but he doesn't want to. he clearly doesn't want to look for it himself, so why help him? like i said, this is a waste of time. why help somebody who doesn't want to help himself.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 19
I'll sell you my Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 GB player w/ USB 2.0 for $100 shipped. It costed $250 new. It plays music and also doubles as an external harddrive. File transfer is easy, just drag and drop, and with USB 2.0 it'll be a fast transfer.

Very good condition... If you're interested I can take some digital pictures no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back