New US Perreaux distributor and Perreaux USB/DAC
Apr 19, 2004 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gort

100+ Head-Fier
While visiting stereophile.com I found this article about new US distributor. And Perreaux will come out with new USB/DAC with 192khz at 24-bits upsampling. As a laptop user I can't wait to hear if the new USB DAC will be any good.

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 24
Now the question is how much will the Perreaux cost now? Any bets that it comes in at somewhere around $500-550?

Apr 24, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 24
I just emailed them.....let's see the price.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I just emailed them.....let's see the price.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I do not think you are going to get the price you are looking for. If you go to their website you will see clearly that they are distributors and not intending to play the roll of resellers. Supposedly Perreaux are looking to get themselves into US brick and mortar stores as opposed to internet sales etc.

What I expect you will receive will be the MSRP price which will be inevitably discounted by the retailer. I would be surprised if they will sell directly, and if they do, it would I believe be at the MSRP.

Peter

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterg2
I do not think you are going to get the price you are looking for. If you go to their website you will see clearly that they are distributors and not intending to play the roll of resellers. Supposedly Perreaux are looking to get themselves into US brick and mortar stores as opposed to internet sales etc.

What I expect you will receive will be the MSRP price which will be inevitably discounted by the retailer. I would be surprised if they will sell directly, and if they do, it would I believe be at the MSRP.

Peter

Well till now not even the MSRP...LOL...(nothing in the mail)

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by richingoth
HiFi Farms is selling the Perreaux Silhouette SHX1 headphone amp for $599, while Audio Advisor sold it for $350, (an increase of 71%). Is this New Zealand Dollars or GREED?

IMO this is stupid, after that AA price I do not think that any of us will get it for 599, and other than us, I don't know of too many people that will know of even the existence of headphone amps...

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 24
I think you're right, Sovkiller. The SXH-1 is a very nice amp for $350, but at $600, it's up against some very serious competition. BTW, I brought my Total Airhead to work, and everybody thought it was a radar detector.
frown.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 24
It's not greed. 695NZD has always been the price (shipped). And the NZD has been doing much better lately, and AA's price didn't reflect that. Now of course the US distributor wants a profit as well, so prices naturally increase. Not all prices revolve around the US Dollar.
wink.gif
And you can possibly get it cheaper than 600 USD if you buy from New Zealand. It's 437USD shipped if you get it from TotallyWired (check Perreaux's own website, the where to buy link).
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
It's not greed. 695NZD has always been the price (shipped). And the NZD has been doing much better lately, and AA's price didn't reflect that. Now of course the US distributor wants a profit as well, so prices naturally increase. Not all prices revolve around the US Dollar.
wink.gif
And you can possibly get it cheaper than 600 USD if you buy from New Zealand. It's 437USD shipped if you get it from TotallyWired (check Perreaux's own website, the where to buy link).
tongue.gif

473.00 shipped is one thing, and 599.99 plus shipping is another. IMO the point is not if the amp is worth or not the price (BTW IMO it is worth the price) the point is that all of us knew of the AA price, so there is no way I'm going to pay the double just because they change the dealer, as the product is the same. OTOH I don't think that they offered AA a bargain with the SXH-1, that let them sell if for the half of the price, and those guys can not, there is some serious hiden profits involved, IMO, in some place there.....

It is like tomorrow another guy rules Corda Audio, instead of Dr. Meier, and this guy decided to increase the price to the double, are you going to get the PreHead at 2500.00, is it worth???? Maybe but what the heck, last month it was 1100.00........
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 24
It's a similar thing with Grado in Europe. Are the sr225's worth €500.00? I suppose it's the US distributor who wants a peice of the pie. The only difference is that Perreaux (so far) hasn't closed the door from buying abroad like Grado has. So for those you don't like the price, you can't complain that much because all you have to is exercise your fingers and get in touch with a New Zealand reseller, such as TotallyWired.
wink.gif

Bur yeah, I see your point, it sucks when distributors want such a big peice of the pie, and it's not like it's a new product that didn't have a price before this. Now Grado ignored my complaints about prices here, but Perreaux may not. If you feel it's unfair and you're not willing to order from New Zealand, then let Perreaux know about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back