New Upgrade - TOP IEM/CIEM or Full size magnetoplanar
Dec 29, 2014 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hellkitchen

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm opening this thread since I'm looking for suggestion for my future upgrade. I'm not sure if and when I will be able to make this upgrade but here's the question:

I actually own:

Westone UM Pro 30
Hifiman HE400
Sennheiser HD598

FiiO E12
FiiO E18
Matrix M-Stage V2 (opa 627)

I listen mainly metal and that's how I've got two dark sounding pieces like the Pro 30 and the HE400. I rarely use the HD 598 when I listen classical or some other light genres. 

So the point is that I want to make a big upgrade that can fit with my preferite genres, which are Metal with almost all it's subgenres, rock and blues. 

I'm undecided if going with a Full size magnetoplanar (like the Audeze LCD2) or with a CIEM/UIEM like something from Noble, JHA, UE, Unique melody. 
The main issue with the CIEM is that I live in Italy and I'd need to ship my moulds to USA with all the risk related to that. 

I saw on the Noble Audio site that they have also the Kaiser 10 as Universal fit IEM and that is really interesting to me for this reason.

So, what would you do if you were in me? Full Size or UIEM (probably better choice to avoid problem)? From a audio quality point of view, can a Kaiser 10 be compared to a LCD 2?

Thank you!!!

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 5
I think that's a really hard comparison to make. A top of the line, open headphone like the LCD-2 is a much different experience from a top of the line custom IEM. Both are great - but different. If I was sitting at home, in a room by myself, with the proper amplification, I would choose the LCD-2. They are beautiful headphones with sumptuous lambskin leather ear pads and they sound fantastic. On the other hand, if I was mobile, or there were other people around, or I needed great noise isolation, or wearing large heavy headphones is a problem, then I would choose the IEMs.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 5
I think that's a really hard comparison to make. A top of the line, open headphone like the LCD-2 is a much different experience from a top of the line custom IEM. Both are great - but different. If I was sitting at home, in a room by myself, with the proper amplification, I would choose the LCD-2. They are beautiful headphones with sumptuous lambskin leather ear pads and they sound fantastic. On the other hand, if I was mobile, or there were other people around, or I needed great noise isolation, or wearing large heavy headphones is a problem, then I would choose the IEMs.

Thank you, this is an important point. I listen music both at home and outdoor! 
In this moment, I'm more intrested in understanding which one is better as sound quality!

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 5
My point is that trying to decide which of the top headphones in the world has the best sound quality is a useless exercise. They are great in different ways and unless you hear an LCD-2 at the same time and with the same music as a JH Audio, Noble, etc CIEM, there is no way anyone else can tell you which one is "better". An open headphone *tends* to have better soundstage - but, for me, soundstage isn't really something I listen for, so I don't put much value in it. You might be completely different. You might as well ask whether Coca-Cola or Hot Chocolate is the better drink. They are both drinks, and they are both good, but you can't really ask which one is "better".

Just my opinion... :)

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 5
My point is that trying to decide which of the top headphones in the world has the best sound quality is a useless exercise. They are great in different ways and unless you hear an LCD-2 at the same time and with the same music as a JH Audio, Noble, etc CIEM, there is no way anyone else can tell you which one is "better". An open headphone *tends* to have better soundstage - but, for me, soundstage isn't really something I listen for, so I don't put much value in it. You might be completely different. You might as well ask whether Coca-Cola or Hot Chocolate is the better drink. They are both drinks, and they are both good, but you can't really ask which one is "better".

Just my opinion...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mmh that's what I was afraid of.. Unfortunally I will never have the chance to try these products before buying them. I was just trying to understand if a top IEM and a top Headphone can be compared also if I know they are different (I actually have a balanced IEM and a Magnetoplanar and I know well where they differ)!

Well is not a big problem; I know they are both great and it may be just a choice based on which type I could use more. 

Just a question:

I like a lot the HE400 but I find them to be lacking in soundstage, details and instrument separation: are the LCD 2 and the others top magneto planar best in this way? Will they keep the same bass "slam" and extension?

I like a lot the UM Pro 30 as well. Which is the main characteristic that is superior with a top CIEM/UIEM like a Kaiser 10? Soundstage? Details? Bass extension or impact?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back