New Universal Players Abound--But Where's The Content?
Jan 27, 2005 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NewMexiCat

100+ Head-Fier
When upgraditis strikes me again (and it will), I will likely get the urge to upgrade my source from a modded entry-level universal player (APL 563, which sounds very good BTW) to more reference-level model (either modded or not). There are lots of new entries in the universal player market that appear promising--McCormack UDP, the Denon 3910 (for excellent video, as well), or, if you want to break the bank, the Esoteric line.

While manufacturer's seem to be improving the performance of these universal players, one problem persists: the availability of DVD-A and SACD titles to play!!!

I've had a universal player for close to a couple years now (first a Denon 2200, then the 563). At first, I bought a bunch of discs . . . anything I could find that I liked or even just sorta liked so I'd have a good selection of choices. But for the past 8 months or so, it seems that new releases are decreasing to nearly non-existant. I basically own every high-rez disc that appeals to me and there are no new ones available!

I've read in Stereophile that the music industry has not given up on the high-rez format, but the lack of new releases (or even re-releases) just seems to be getting worse. What gives? Are we waiting for DualDisc to get off the ground? And as for SACD, there just appear to be no decent new or future releases on the horizon.

Which begs the question, is it really worth throwing piles of money around to enter (or upgrade) in the universal source marketplace? No matter how great the sound quality, it seems the listening experience is much more enjoyable when unrestricted by format. Yet, that nagging quest for the "best sound ever" still makes me gravitate to high-rez. What's an upgrader to do?

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 4
At this point, I think you need to look at the titles currently available and decide how badly you want to be able to hear them in Hi-Rez. Once you own those titles and that player, no one can take them away from you, they are yours to enjoy forever.

OTOH, if an upgrade decision was based on anticipating all the titles that *might* some day come out, that you'd really *love* to see, but don't exist yet, I'd sit on the side-lines for now. *gasp*, I know, from me, for long-termers here, that may come to some as a surprise I'd say that.

As someone who is keenly interested in Hi-Rez and who has heavily invested in both hardware and software in support of both formats, and who tries to stay up on all the latest gossip/rumors, frankly, the situation looks grim. Not necessarily because the concept of "hi-rez" or multi-channel has failed (they are both INEVITABLE), but from what I can see now, it appears that SACD & DVD-A may not be the mediums that deliver it. And God how it pains me to say so.

There has been a rapid drop-off in the number of SACDs released by the big labels, most conspicuously, Sony, the big name behind SACD. Things on the schedule have disappeared or been re-scheduled. Not a good sign. There are rampant rumors of its demise (although they have been around since Day 1), and the chorus seems to be growing in intensity. It seems we all wanted them to fail (as so many Members here and audiophiles elsewhere seem to have wanted all along for reasons I can't begin to fathom) and we may get our wish after all...
frown.gif

My feeling is that the record companies and hardware manufacturers have decided that SACD and DVD-A are not going to be the means for delivering hi-rez and multi-channel. IMO, they are banking on these vapor-ware products, Blu-Ray from Sony and HD-DVD from everyone else to be the next step for digital movies on which digital audio/music may or may not piggy-back.

What does this mean? It means AT LEAST another 5 years before we see the emergence of any other Hi-Rez titles in these future formats. Between now and then, we are stuck with the positively antique technology developed in 1982 to take advantage of the best, and cheapest, technology available at the time. This sucks.

Will people pick up in 5-8 years time on the next hi-rez audio format, or will they have long since switched over to cheap, downloadable individual songs in formats that are even worse than the humble CD? Remains to be seen. All physical media, and even albums themselves for that matter, may be a thing of the past, not long for this world, but that's a whole other discussion.

Half of me wishes I had a big sum of money sitting around to invest. I'd use all that money to buy up all the SACDs and DVD-A's I could find, as these are likely going to be highly collectible, especially if no other hi-rez format takes off. Look at the prices that late 80's/early '90s DCC and Mobile Fidelity CDs now fetch. Many of them go for $50-$200, as they represent, in many cases, the best masterings of those outstanding titles ever released. My hunch is that SACDs and DVD-As will one day command similar prices and your $12 disc might some day be worth $200 to a desperate audiophile. After all, most of these titles are practically "limited editions", not that many were made. People that invested in $5K universal players are going to be DESPERATE for stuff to play on them...

Anyway, I'm rambling. Be cautious, is my advice, FWIW. So long as the universal player you pick is top-drawer in viedo playback for your DVD movies and top-drawer for your Redbook CDs, then you're fine...

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Unless you're into classical and classic jazz, the hi-rez catalogue isn't satisfactory, imo. Classical releases are plenty, which makes me happy, since classical is most of what I buy. check out sa-cd.net, if you haven't already.

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 4
markl:
Thanks for your outlook of the future of high rez. I agree that things look a bit bleak at the moment. I could probably justify a source upgrade for improved video and redbook, but the premium you have to pay for a top flight universal makes it a bit hard to justify. Maybe this is one instance where I can fight off the upgraditis!

Dimitri:
You're right. Classical releases are aplenty, but that's not my cup of tea unfortunately. Maybe I should try to get cultured!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back