New UE product!
Apr 21, 2007 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

trose49

Banned
PULLED FROM ILOUNGE!

Does Ultimate Ears have the next big earphone?

By Jeremy Horwitz | 04.20.07 | digg this story | Tell a Friend
Secrets—especially when they involve breakthrough iPod products—are hard to keep. We really want to tell you guys and girls everything we hear about, and if we’re enjoying something, we want you to have a chance at enjoying it too.
For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been testing something new from Ultimate Ears. It’s early in development - first phase - but it’s seriously impressive. Enough so that I’m willing to go to the edge of the limited amount that I can say about it, to prepare those who might be looking for the next big thing in high-end audio.
I’ve been generally quite impressed by UE’s products in the past, but this one has the potential to be important on the scale of its best-known designs, for a number of reasons that I mostly can’t get into yet, since it’s not due out for a while. You may know from my earphone reviews that I’m not a classic bass-head - muddy thump doesn’t do it for me, so I’d take detailed, controlled low end over wider but flatter bass any day. The ideal would be if we didn’t have to compromise, and the highs and mids weren’t given short shrift in the process. That’s what UE appears set to deliver.
I always hold off on final earphone opinions until I know several things: the guaranteed final sound signature, price, and package details. Given the vague information I have at the moment, it’s too early to make any near-final judgments. But if it’s on time, at the right price, and both looks and sounds at least as good as what I’ve been playing with, this could be the big one for UE—a true killer product. I’ll share more, including pictures, as soon as I can.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 16
The main site (ilounge.com) is down, but you can see it at:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/

Finally UE is pulling away from the bass bloat hopefully. I hope the mids are fixed as well.

Thanks for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main site (ilounge.com) is down, but you can see it at:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/

Finally UE is pulling away from the bass bloat hopefully. I hope the mids are fixed as well.

Thanks for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Which UE's are you talking about, with regard to bass bloat? I own the UE10s, and I call them anything but bloated with regard to bass.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever hear the super.fi 5 pro?
wink.gif

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, that's not the only IEM they offer, even limiting the choices to their universal fit models.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Ultimate Ears have the next big earphone?

But if it’s on time, this could be the big one for UE—a true killer product. I’ll share more, including pictures, as soon as I can.

rolleyes.gif
blink.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 16
I had had the 10 pros in my sights, but if this a new custom product on par (or above as rumored) with the 10 pros, I'm shifting my crosshairs!!

This would be too bad *ss!!

Apr 22, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 16
hah, the next fotm and it's only in speculative/rumor stage! can't we let the westone 3 have iem fotm status while waiting to see what this ue iem turns out to be.
plainface.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 16
That's the whole idea. Deflect attention away from the soon-to-be released Westone 3. The Triple-Fi just hit the shelves in December so whatever UE is cooking up must be in the early production stages.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the whole idea. Deflect attention away from the soon-to-be released Westone 3. The Triple-Fi just hit the shelves in December so whatever UE is cooking up must be in the early production stages.

The timing of the iLounge exclusive leak/report did seem slightly odd considering HeadFest and the Westone 3's appearance/public premiere at the event.

Apr 22, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 16
could be three way drivers universal or cstm IEMs. Maybe four drivers(1 for highs, 1 for mids and dual amt bass) universal IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back