New UE-10 Review on Exhardware...
Feb 28, 2004 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

toaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is a link to a new review of the Ultimate Ears UE-10 earphones:

http://www.exhardware.com/reviews.php?Id=128&Page=1

Perhaps the most noteworth part of this review imo is this statement towards the end:

"The low end response was definitely there but at the same time, it was not quite as overwhelming or powerful as one would expect with two low end drivers in use."

It appears that the UE's may not provide the extra bass punch over the E5c's some of us might want or expect, especially for their price. (Just about 1000 dollars after custom molding expenses.)

I don't know about you guys, but $400 for new E5c's (metal box and all) on ebay seems mighty nice; without having to worry about the no-return policy of the Ultimate Ears and their potentially "dissatisfying bass edge" over the E5's. (Actually, I guess you can't always return your ebay purchase, unless the seller offers a return policy, usually with a restocking fee. But at least you'll know that you can easily resell it with Shure's fit kit as opposed to UE's custom moldings.)

*I have never heard nor have I purchased the E5c's yet, although I plan to in the next month or so due to the positve experience I have had with my E3c's. I have obviously not heard the UE-10's either. Read the review and reshape your thoughts on the UE-10's for yourself.

Feb 29, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the link.

Its kind of hard to get anything out of that review given they didnt really compare to the major top of the line audiophile canal phones (Ety 4s, Shure E5s, etc), but it does atleast give basic impressions.

I would be interested in auditioning these, but given they cannot be returned, it seems almost pointless unless you are a performer needing the absolute best.

Feb 29, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Sure thing. That's true, as it is hard to wage the user's satisfaction without any comparison to what we are more familiar with. But that statement towards the end which i cut out makes me second guess just how much "bass punch" the UE-10's might have over the E5's.

The triple drivers the UE-10's have sound like they would provide more power, but perhaps this is not as true as some of us are imagining it to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back