New twist on an ebay scam...Phishing within ebay itself
Jul 28, 2006 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

CD44hi

1000+ Head-Fier
I came across an auction on ebay with a phishing link *within* the auction page itself. First time I see this on ebay. This is clearly distinct from the usual spam phishing emails with an embeded fake link.
I did a search here on Head-fi for 'ebay scams' and I did not see this permutation of this phishing attempt reported before, so I thought in bringing this up to your attention (if this has been discussed previously, my apologies, I have been out of the loop for a while):

I reported the auction and it was taken out (it was a hi-end road bike, but this is non-relevant to the point.) There was a link to the specifications of the item, this link would then take you to a page that looked just similar to the real login page for ebay. The only give away: there were some google ads on a corner of the page. Would have it not been for this, the page would have looked just like the regular ebay login page. So I guess google ads were a good thing on this one heh!
Pretty disturbing...

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the heads up.

eBay better get on this one pronto.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 3
ya... !

Got an semi-generic email back just saying that they apologized of such event within ebay. And the just said that they pulled the auction and "if I choose to carry business with those sellers," it would be considered an "outside" activity.

Well I would hope that ebay would do more than just pull the auctions out, but prosecute those bastards. But I guess that would be probably nearly impossible since they are so many and probably overseas....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back