New Turntable Project ... Reworking a moderately priced older table
Jan 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

swt61

Dr. Wood
Back in the 80's I purchased a Mitsubishi LT-30 linear tracking turntable. I believe I paid about $650.00 for it. I was very impressed with the quality of the unit at the time.

Recently I found another LT-30 on ebay for a very good price. The unit has some chips in the faux veneered MDF base, and I was able to pick it up at a bargain price. I've been wanting to rework one of these tables for quite some time, but they're somewhat rare, and they hold their value well.

I thought I would document the project here on Head-Fi for those that are curious about revamping an older TT themselves, and just the curious as well.
The project will consist of building an entirely new plinth for the table. The new plinth will be much more massive than the stock unit, and will consist of a multi-layer MDF core for weight, wrapped in a frame of an exotic wood as yet undetermined.

The electronics on this table look to be in excellent shape, and this table is well thought of, so there won't be a lot of fussing with the workings. I will document the process of picking and installing a new cartridge, as well as phono stage. I will also be adding high quality RCA jacks and a power cord connector into the new plinth, so as to be able to use aftermarket cables.

The project will also include the design and building of a dedicated stand for the TT which will be massive and loaded with either shot or sand for added weight. It will also have adjustable cone feet for perfect leveling, and I'll go through the process of leveling the stand and table. I'l try to get some help from some of my vinyl buddies when it's time to align the cartridge and set the tracking weight.

The project will take at least a month to complete, and I'll post in installments.

The unit arrived today, and to start off the thread I thought I'd post some before pics of the TT.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 41
Looks like fun! What's the current condition of the table; is it working?

Also, are there any extra steps you'll need to take because the turntable is linear tracking vs. a regular model?

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The project will consist of building an entirely new plinth for the table. The new plinth will be much more massive than the stock unit, and will consist of a multi-layer MDF core for weight, wrapped in a frame of an exotic wood as yet undetermined.

Sounds like a fantastic project !!! But I would ditch the idea of making the plinth entirely out of MDF. MDF sure is dead and your table will end up sounding well..... dead.(ie:lifeless)
biggrin.gif

Alternating layers of baltic birch and MDF will bring you MUCH better results.

Beware !! Working on these vintage tables is addictive and can turn into a hobby in itself. My house is being over run.
eek.gif

Looking forward to seeing the progress .

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like fun! What's the current condition of the table; is it working?

Also, are there any extra steps you'll need to take because the turntable is linear tracking vs. a regular model?

The table works great! It's in fantastic shape, except for the nicks in the plinth which I wanted to ditch from the start anyway.
I actually think this table is a bit easier to set up than a standard tonearm, but the process is not that dissimilar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alternating layers of baltic birch and MDF will bring you MUCH better results.

Hmmm, thanks for the tip. That won't be any more difficult to do. I'll take your advice, thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 41
A natural match, your great woodworking skills and a vinyl rig renovation we all wish we could do. I am looking forward to your progress. The key for me will be how you mod the plinth utilizing your skill with matching different woods and shapes.

How about going full gundy and doing something like the late Terry Cain's Garrard plinth project? Typical of Terry was taking a boxy plinth design and changing the turntable into a piece of modern art. Very cool!

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A natural match, your great woodworking skills and a vinyl rig renovation we all wish we could do. I am looking forward to your progress. The key for me will be how you mod the plinth utilizing your skill with matching different woods and shapes.

How about going full gundy and doing something like the late Terry Cain's Garrard plinth project? Typical of Terry was taking a boxy plinth design and changing the turntable into a piece of modern art. Very cool!

I assume you're referring to this beauty.

It won't look quite like that, but I do plan on doing something pretty special. I'm still knocking around design ideas.

I have just ordered the veneer for the top of the table. I decided on this piece of Maple Burl...

AAA Maple Burl Veneer Sheet 17.5" x 23.25" in stock at VeneerSupplies.com

Click on the piece to the right to get an enlargement of the actual piece.

I'm thinking that I'll wrap the sides in 3/4" Bloodwood chamfered at the top edge. I'm also toying with the idea of inlaying two or three 1/8" bands of Quilted Maple all the way around the sides of the table. The bands would stand proud about an 1/8", and have a bullnose edge.

I'm still not sure about the feet yet, but I'm thinking that there will be three, and that they will most likely be short wooden posts with metal cones, not unlike Terry Cain's design. I also like the thick Maple platform of Terry's design, and since I have some 3" thick Maple butcher block, I'll probably incorporate it under the TT.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 41
Mitsu Turntable looks awesome, reminds me of a receiver one of my friends bought in the early 90s. It was hooked up to some good size cantons, it was nice and LOUD! I say re-work the old one, its a head turner.

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 41
Nice deck. Linear trackers are cool.
biggrin.gif
Have you also considered rewiring the arm wand / replacing the internal tonearm wiring as the quality of this has improved a lot in the last few decades as well?

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice deck. Linear trackers are cool.
biggrin.gif
Have you also considered rewiring the arm wand / replacing the internal tonearm wiring as the quality of this has improved a lot in the last few decades as well?

I'm considering it now.
biggrin.gif

Actually since I plan on installing RCA jacks on the new plinth, I figured I'd be replacing the wiring anyway, but suggestions are more than welcome.
cool.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

I'm considering it now.
biggrin.gif

Actually since I plan on installing RCA jacks on the new plinth, I figured I'd be replacing the wiring anyway, but suggestions are more than welcome.
cool.gif

LCOFC Silver Litz is de rigueur. Incognito or Cardas make kits but I'm sure you can buy the cables cheaper on their own. You probably won't want anything too stiff as I assume it will need to feed into the sled that the arm sits on? Don't know the innards of these decks personally.

You might want to think about using a DIN socket if you find an appropriate place to fit one, instead of RCAs for the external cabling as this is what most tonearm and cable manufacturers use.Keeping the amount of sockets and joins in the cabling to a minimum is also something to think about as the signal is so weak.

Professional Microphone cable from Canare, Mogami, Van Damme or Belden is a popular option for external tonearm cable as it's very well shielded and reasonably cheap.

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

LCOFC Silver Litz is de rigueur. Incognito or Cardas make kits but I'm sure you can buy the cables cheaper on their own. You probably won't want anything too stiff as I assume it will need to feed into the sled that the arm sits on? Don't know the innards of these decks personally.

You might want to think about using a DIN socket if you find an appropriate place to fit one, instead of RCAs for the external cabling as this is what most tonearm and cable manufacturers use.Keeping the amount of sockets and joins in the cabling to a minimum is also something to think about as the signal is so weak.

Professional Microphone cable from Canare, Mogami, Van Damme or Belden is a popular option for external tonearm cable as it's very well shielded and reasonably cheap.

So you're saying use a DIN socket in the plinth, and run the tonearm cables to it, then use Professional Microphone cable with a DIN plug on one end and RCA jacks on the other to run into the phono stage?

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 41
Too many connections.

Use a single run form the cartridge tags to the phonostage if you can (depending on the innards of the TT). You can buy shielded cardas for reasonable money.

If you want to try it out a good and cheap alternative is the wire from a microsoft mouse (ps-2 type not USB). You know the old type MS mouse from about 10yrs ago? Thats the one. OFC copper in a litz config and its small and supple enough to do the job. Disadvantage is that the colours are wrong (well some of them are). Oh yeah - the sockets from a d-sub connector of the type commonly found on computers work very nicely as cartridge tags. Not quite as heavy as the cardas ones, but very similar.

Fran

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 41
FWIW, Joe Dephillips of Discovery Cable has been quietly supplying tonearm wires to many well-known brands for years. Air Tangent, VPI, and Clearaudio arms were all using his tonearm wires at some point. Joe also re-wires arms, you should consider calling him, he's based in Florida.

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

So you're saying use a DIN socket in the plinth, and run the tonearm cables to it, then use Professional Microphone cable with a DIN plug on one end and RCA jacks on the other to run into the phono stage?

A single run is ideal but isn't always practical especially with an arm like yours which may well actually be connected to a circuit board underneath for the motor functions. A single plug connection is going to be ok.

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

A single run is ideal but isn't always practical especially with an arm like yours which may well actually be connected to a circuit board underneath for the motor functions. A single plug connection is going to be ok.

Yes, after opening the bottom I see that there is indeed a circuit board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back