New turntable, cartridge setup
Apr 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pevsfreedom

100+ Head-Fier
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 10
Use the same headshell. You might need to get a cartridge mounting screw kit from ebay though so that the MX97 is screwed in correctly. Different carts have a different height, and rarely do the standard fitted screws also fit a different cartridge.

That gauge is quite good. I happen to own one. But be careful! I lent mine to a friend and he damaged his stylus somehow. It is probably down to being careful when using it, which I why I mention it to you.

There are alternative digital choices. A mate of mine, who is an aficionado of non medical herbal remedies, uses his little digital scale that costs less than U$15. It goes up to about one ounce, but I don't know if they make carts with that kind of tracking weight
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 10
Excuse me but I've never done this before. What exactly is the point of the tracking force gauge? How do you use it? I have a digital gram/milligram scale. I guess I'm not sure how to actually use it all however. Thanks. I ended up purchasing this for my headshell : http://www.ebay.com/itm/171012606302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Like I mentioned, I bought this cart : http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365705127&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+m97xe

Would it come with the screws do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Any digital scale that can fit under the cart, and that is accurate down to 0.05 grams should work. The Shure gauge should be all you'll ever need, and at $25, it's dirt cheap. The M97xe comes with a set of mounting screws, the only reason you'd need a second headshell is if you want to swap carts frequently without remounting and re-aligning each time. You will need to adjust tracking force though.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Pevsfreedom- The tracking force is determined by the cart used and the arm weight.combined.
     Zero balance the arm and cart and then apply a downward force depending on the cart-MC carts usually have a higher download than MM.
                      Any thing from 1 gm up to several -too light and you get distortion-too heavy and you wear down the LP groove-FOREVER!- Vertical alignment also has to be taken into account as does rake angle.
            Also you need a gauge for trace alignment ACROSS the LP.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Any digital scale that can fit under the cart, and that is accurate down to 0.05 grams should work. The Shure gauge should be all you'll ever need, and at $25, it's dirt cheap. The M97xe comes with a set of mounting screws, the only reason you'd need a second headshell is if you want to swap carts frequently without remounting and re-aligning each time. You will need to adjust tracking force though.

What exactly is the process? Am I weighing the cart without the stylus? [attached to the arm]? Thanks.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
What exactly is the process? Am I weighing the cart without the stylus? [attached to the arm]? Thanks.

You should carefully measure the weight with the stylus attached, and the stylus cover removed. Scary thought, I know.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 10
you can use the same head shell.   The cartridge you bought will come with screws.   You might want to buy a Overhang Tool  its $3.75+ shipping from kabusa.com and here's a guide to go with that overhang tool.   http://www.kabusa.com/GIF/overhang.jpg 

The track force gauge people are talking about are either digital or just the $25 shure gauge.   I wouldn't worry about buying one and would just go with the recommended weight that will be listed in the booklet the Shure cartridge comes with or check their website.  Check youtube on how to set the weight its pretty simple.   Zero it out, balance the arm so it floats horizontally, set the weight.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Trace alignment is the arc it traces across the LP. It has a hole at one end that pushes onto the center  spindle of the record deck the other end has vertical and horizontal lines to align your cartridge .   when the horizontal lines are parallel to the cartridge as well as the vertical the arm is moved in an arc across the LP depending on the gauge either it traces the same arc that is on the gauge OR there are two marker points  that the tip of the stylus will rest on.This is adjusted by forward/backward movement of the cartridge
                           This guarantees there will be minimum tracing distortion.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back