New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Jul 1, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #887 of 978
I've used the Audeze LCD-GX with mine. Worked great. I have them on right now using them together.

I felt the HA-1A was smaller than I thought it would be. It's tall but not very wide. My Darkvoice takes up more desk real estate than the Cayin (as you can see in the pic).

Your call on the tubes. The stock are just fine. Probably worth upgrading the tubes if you want the best out of the amp. If you're already spending that much, why not spend just that bit more.

How does the Cayin HA-1A compare to the Feliks Audio Echo MKII (which I have as well)?

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #888 of 978
How does the Cayin HA-1A compare to the Feliks Audio Echo MKII (which I have as well)?
I've only heard the Echo MK1.
The Echo is cleaner. They both sound great, but I experienced annoying build issues with the HA-1A.

1. Extremely annoying to tube swap due to having to remove case each time.
2. LEDs under the tubes can fail easily (seems to be a soldering issue - possibly related to the pressure from swapping tubes).
3. Suffered from electro magnetic interference. Not had this issue with any other tube amp.

If I was buying now, I'd likely choose the Feliks.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #889 of 978
They are pretty similar overall. Both of my examples are nice and quiet, and both are fairly warm, smooth, a bit relaxed but also engaging midrange and bloom. I feel like both amps are great and fairly competitive.

Tube rolling really changes the character of the Cayin pretty drastically. It can become a whole different Amp based on what you choose. I haven't messed with rolling on the Echo but I can say the stock tubes are excellent. If I wanted to buy it and run stock, the Echo would be my choice. For tweaking the signature I would probably go Cayin.

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #890 of 978
The Echo is cleaner. They both sound great, but I experienced annoying build issues with the HA-1A.

2. LEDs under the tubes can fail easily (sense to be a soldering issue - possibly related to the pressure from swapping tubes).
3. Suffered from electro magnetic interference. Not had this issue with any other tube amp.

They are pretty similar overall. Both of my examples are nice and quiet, and both are fairly warm, smooth, a bit relaxed but also engaging midrange and bloom. I feel like both amps are great and fairly competitive.

Tube rolling really changes the character of the Cayin pretty drastically. It can become a whole different Amp based on what you choose. I haven't messed with rolling on the Echo but I can say the stock tubes are excellent. If I wanted to buy it and run stock, the Echo would be my choice. For tweaking the signature I would probably go Cayin.

Thanks for the replies/comments. I can definitely see it being annoying or complicated to roll tubes on the Cayin. It's very easy on the Echo MkII. I got my Echo MkII used with some extra tubes so I have not actually tried the stock tubes.

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #891 of 978
Thanks for the replies/comments. I can definitely see it being annoying or complicated to roll tubes on the Cayin. It's very easy on the Echo MkII. I got my Echo MkII used with some extra tubes so I have not actually tried the stock tubes.
You're welcome. The Cayin is still a lovely amp, but I don't think you'd gain anything by going from one to the other.

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #892 of 978
You're welcome. The Cayin is still a lovely amp, but I don't think you'd gain anything by going from one to the other.

Fair enough. I also have the BottleHead Crack with speedball. I had someone build it for me.

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #894 of 978
Except you wanna run planars. Since the Cayin is transformer coupled and the Echo OTL the Cayin is better able to handle planar loads.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #895 of 978

2. LEDs under the tubes can fail easily (seems to be a soldering issue - possibly related to the pressure from swapping tubes).

Let's be frank, we don't deny that the design of HA-1AMK2 has some practical issues. We want to deliver a transformer-coupled all-tube headphone amplifier with minimum footprint and easily blend into a study desk with books and computers cramping together. The upright form factor satisfied the foot-print requirements but we have to place the circuit board immediately above the transformers. The placement of the components also provides less shielding than other conventional tube amplifiers. This explained point (3) from @Twizzleshnizzle. Overall speaking, you need to be more cautious in setting up the HA-1AMK2 in order to achieve a silent playback.

On the other hand, a fully covered design allows you to use the amplifier in a tight space, without worrying that you'll touch the tubes accidentally, or even placed books or assorted study accessories right next to the amplifier. Unfortunately, that means you need to remove the case in order to perform tube rolling, as Twizzleshnizzle has stated in point (1). If you only roll the tubes occasionally and settled with your choice of tubes for a while after rolling, this design is acceptable. However, if you are a frequent tube roller, then this is not a good design for you.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 1, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #896 of 978
Now that's an amp I'd like to try

It's a nice amp but also a very "hands on" amp given that it has to be built by the user. I just asked someone to make it for me as I don't have the space or tools to do it myself. Mine just looks like a stock build. If I were to have someone built it again I'd want a few custom stuff done. But it does sound pretty good.

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #897 of 978
HA-3A, a new tube headphone amplifier that will fill the gap between HA-1AMK2 and HA-6A . More information and photo next week. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 23, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #898 of 978
Let's be frank, we don't deny that the design of HA-1AMK2 has some practical issues. We want to deliver a transformer-coupled all-tube headphone amplifier with minimum footprint and easily blend into a study desk with books and computers cramping together. The upright form factor satisfied the foot-print requirements but we have to place the circuit board immediately above the transformers. The placement of the components also provides less shielding than other conventional tube amplifiers. This explained point (3) from @Twizzleshnizzle. Overall speaking, you need to be more cautious in setting up the HA-1AMK2 in order to achieve a silent playback.

On the other hand, a fully covered design allows you to use the amplifier in a tight space, without worrying that you'll touch the tubes accidentally, or even placed books or assorted study accessories right next to the amplifier. Unfortunately, that means you need to remove the case in order to perform tube rolling, as Twizzleshnizzle has stated in point (1). If you only roll the tubes occasionally and settled with your choice of tubes for a while after rolling, this design is acceptable. However, if you are a frequent tube roller, then this is not a good design for you.
Fortunately I'm not a frequent tube roller,

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #899 of 978
Fortunately I'm not a frequent tube roller,
The truely amazing thing about the HA-1AMK2 is its ability to change completely with different tubes. I don't mean some subtle change, I mean totally different sounding amp. I own three tube amps and have owned others. I have never seen such a complete change in every aspect of the sound with tube rolling as I have with this amp. I settled on some rather expensive NOS tubes but the end results are an amp sounding far beyond its price. If you have the patience this is a remarkable amp. Mine is dead quiet. I have heard others not so lucky. May just be very susceptable to RF in your lisening room.

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #900 of 978
The truely amazing thing about the HA-1AMK2 is its ability to change completely with different tubes. I don't mean some subtle change, I mean totally different sounding amp. I own three tube amps and have owned others. I have never seen such a complete change in every aspect of the sound with tube rolling as I have with this amp. I settled on some rather expensive NOS tubes but the end results are an amp sounding far beyond its price. If you have the patience this is a remarkable amp. Mine is dead quiet. I have heard others not so lucky. May just be very susceptable to RF in your lisening room.
Never had an issue with any other solid state or tube amp, and I've tried quite a few.

My friend also has one, his light switch causes interference.

It does react nicely to tube swaps though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back