New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Jul 9, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #796 of 970
Time to burn-in these new 12AU7 Gold Lions and EL84 PSVanes
Sweet! IME the Gold Lions take in the range of 150-200 hours to truly burn in. PSVane are also new production and are likely similar. So don't judge them too harshly early on. They will smooth and sweeten in time.

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #797 of 970
I finally bought two buddies for the amp :

idac_mk2_1.jpg

idac_mk2_2.jpg

I also finally purchased the Apple CCK and it works fine. PC is connected via optical and the IPhone with the USB. HD560S purchase was somewhat a wild guess from FR and subjective report to replace AKG 712 Pro as my main headphones as I have never really been satisfied with AKG sound (very hollow with a weird soundstage feeling and devoured voices). I really did not expect it to sound so good, this is the RS130 sound style (of course better with HD560S but with the same neutral-bright tone) I was after (I somewhat dislike RS175/185 "dark"/"muddy" sound), it is absolutely perfect to me (all the spectrum is here, nothing stands too much or not enough). The Cayin HA-1A Mk2 adds to it the possibility to make the sound more "fun" with bass/low mids additions (which does not result in too much distortion, in fact the subtle distortion is pleasing). For the perfect clean SS sound, I put the impedance selector at the lowest setting. For a more pleasing sound (but not superior, it depends on the mood), I set the selector at the two levels before 600 Ohms. The difference between settings is far more noticeable compared to the AKG.

Now I have my killer endgame headphones setup close to heaven, that is what I was after. I do no know if the DAC really adds a cleaner sound since I did not compare with the AKG but there is absolutely nothing to criticize (i.e. it is clean as hell). I use the DAC in SS mode, two tubes layers is just too much to my taste. Having this "hub" is practical and even if the price is probably overkill but at least I bought it once and for all. The pairing with HD560S is very good and of course the power is not a problem at all (with the iPhone volume set at max, HA-1A Mk2 volume is just a bit higher than 0).

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #798 of 970
Is anyone using low-impedance planar headphones with this amp? I'm looking for a valve amp for my Audexe LCD-X which are just 20 Ohms impedance.

On a separate note, the size of the Cayin HA-1A MK2 seems quite substantial. Is it bigger than you thought it would be?

Finally, is it worth getting the tube upgrade from the shop or tube rolling yourself? For example, the retailer can do stock EL84 --> PS Vane EL84T Mk2 and stock 12AU7 --> Golden Dragon 12AU7 and this bumps up the price quite a bit. However, I've seen from a tube supplier the following recommendations: stock EL82 --> Sovtek and stock 12AU7 --> JJ ECC82 and buying those separately is a little cheaper.

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #799 of 970
Is anyone using low-impedance planar headphones with this amp? I'm looking for a valve amp for my Audexe LCD-X which are just 20 Ohms impedance.
I've had a mixed bag of results, even within brands. For Audeze the LCD-2 sounds great with the 1AMK2, but the LCD-24 sounded not good at all. For HiFiMan, the Edition X V2 was garbage on the 1AMK2 while the Arya and HE1000v2 were good to very good, but still not the best you can do for them at the price. I think the 1AMK2 still needs a fairly hard-driving load to sound its best. The LCD-2 is fairly hi Z for a planar and the Arya and HE1000v2 are not known for their efficiency. The Edition X V2 and the LCD-24 are both easy drives.

To your tube rolling question, IMO you're better off swapping tubes yourself. You'll learn more about what you do and don't like that way.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #800 of 970
Upgrading the tubes today <3

Switching from ECC82 to Brimar 12AU7 CV4003.
brimar1.jpg

Aug 8, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #801 of 970
I just got my HA 1A mk2 around 3 days ago. I am pleased with the amp so far (my first tube). Although I have quite a bit of hum and hiss problem. The hum and hiss appeared to be loudest at 600 ohm setting. On 600 ohm setting, i can hear the hum (small one) even when the volume is off.

My connection is PC ---> Topping D10 (USB) --> HA 1A mk2 --> T1 2nd Gen

All of them use the same powerboard, although the PC is connected to the power board via the PSU. My previous dac/amp is audio gd 11.38, I do not get any humming or hissing noise there.

Can anyone assists me with getting rid of the humming and hissing noise? (I am not sure what could be the cause of the noise)

P.S. I ordered group loop isolator whoch should arrive sometime next week. Hopefully, it can help reduce the noise.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #802 of 970
Hey guys, I'm a bit confused with ordering PSVANE EL84 pair of tubes.I found: EL84-S, EL84TII T series MARK II. Which one is suitable for 1AMK2? Should I look for EL84 exactly (without -s or mk2)?
Has anybody compared PSVANE EL84 with EL84 Genalex Gold Lion? Which one is better?

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #803 of 970
Has anyone else had issues with LEDs failing (under the tubes)? My unit is only a couple of months old and one of the LEDs has gone out already, I suspect the soldering as it occasionally comes back on then goes back out.

My old laptop graphics card used to have micro-fractures in the solder. A quick oven bake of the card itself would fix it for another few months, but I can't put the Cayin in the oven. My hands really aren't up to the task of soldering either, far too unsteady. I think I'll have to call the supplier and sort it on warranty.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #804 of 970

On a separate note, the size of the Cayin HA-1A MK2 seems quite substantial. Is it bigger than you thought it would be?

Finally, is it worth getting the tube upgrade from the shop or tube rolling yourself? For example, the retailer can do stock EL84 --> PS Vane EL84T Mk2 and stock 12AU7 --> Golden Dragon 12AU7 and this bumps up the price quite a bit. However, I've seen from a tube supplier the following recommendations: stock EL82 --> Sovtek and stock 12AU7 --> JJ ECC82 and buying those separately is a little cheaper.
I've used the Audeze LCD-GX with mine. Worked great. I have them on right now using them together.

I felt the HA-1A was smaller than I thought it would be. It's tall but not very wide. My Darkvoice takes up more desk real estate than the Cayin (as you can see in the pic).

Your call on the tubes. The stock are just fine. Probably worth upgrading the tubes if you want the best out of the amp. If you're already spending that much, why not spend just that bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpeg
    IMG_1919.jpeg
    863.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #805 of 970
Upgrading the tubes today <3

Switching from ECC82 to Brimar 12AU7 CV4003.

How do you like it so far? I'm running that tube in my pendant, but I'm considering downsizing to the Cayin

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #806 of 970
How do you like it so far? I'm running that tube in my pendant, but I'm considering downsizing to the Cayin
I am liking it. The background is cleaner, detailing is better. Staging i feel is also a bit wider with the Brimar. It feels like a great upgrade over the stock tubes

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #807 of 970
I just got my HA 1A mk2 around 3 days ago. I am pleased with the amp so far (my first tube). Although I have quite a bit of hum and hiss problem. The hum and hiss appeared to be loudest at 600 ohm setting. On 600 ohm setting, i can hear the hum (small one) even when the volume is off.

My connection is PC ---> Topping D10 (USB) --> HA 1A mk2 --> T1 2nd Gen

All of them use the same powerboard, although the PC is connected to the power board via the PSU. My previous dac/amp is audio gd 11.38, I do not get any humming or hissing noise there.

Can anyone assists me with getting rid of the humming and hissing noise? (I am not sure what could be the cause of the noise)

P.S. I ordered group loop isolator whoch should arrive sometime next week. Hopefully, it can help reduce the noise.

Ground loop isolator fixed the noise problem. Cayin HA1A is a very nice amp

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #808 of 970
Low impedance headphones give hiss.
valve amps can never be totally silent for several reasons mostly to do with temp changes affecting valves.
My Cayin with the stock valves was noisy, cleaning the contacts with Deoxit gold helped but what really helped was new Valves. I used PSVanes.

if you use high impedance headphones they will be quieter as the noise isn’t powerful enough to activate the headphones.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #809 of 970
Low impedance headphones give hiss.
valve amps can never be totally silent for several reasons mostly to do with temp changes affecting valves.
My Cayin with the stock valves was noisy, cleaning the contacts with Deoxit gold helped but what really helped was new Valves. I used PSVanes.

if you use high impedance headphones they will be quieter as the noise isn’t powerful enough to activate the headphones.
Try upgrading the stock ECC82 tubes. I switched them with Brimar 12AU7. No noticeable hiss even with low impedance Sundara now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back