new tube amp kit, Mapletree Ear 4
Apr 18, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 26
A kit! That's good news. And parafeed too!
That name Lloyd Peppard sounds familiar, isn't he a retired electrical engineer?
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 26
whoaaa! Looks sweet. I wonder if it works with HD-600s?

What is parafeed?

We need to get Lloyd to post some details here.

Apr 19, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 26
ear4frontsmall.jpg

Correction: I AM going to build it. Very soon. This is an incredible kit for the money. It's also a preamp!

I spoke with Lloyd and he's a heckuva nice fella. If we all call him at once with the same questions, he won't have time to get my kit shipped out...

so...

please post any questions you'd like answered and I'll ask him the next time we speak. I'm already planning an illustrated web project on NickDangerous.com to document the assembly process, and I may include a small interview with him as well.

Apr 19, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 26
Hmm... hope this thing doesn't devalue my Melos
redface.gif

It sure does look interesting though. And Nick, looks like you're becoming a collector now.

Apr 19, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 26
10mW of power? hmm...sounds a little low to me, guys. and that power switch is from ratshack!
wink.gif

of course, it could very well sound good, but I wouldn't reccomend using such a low-powered amp for hard-to-power phones.

Apr 19, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 26
It will not beat the Melos. Few amps can even compete with it.

I don't have the MG Head anymore (sold to Lextek), but finding one won't be a problem.

I'm currently waiting on the Melos, the Mapletree, the Paraglows, and the Onkens. Tick tick tick tick tick tick.

The kits are advertised to go out on May 1st, but he is ready to ship now.

Apr 19, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
I'm currently waiting on the Melos, the Mapletree, the Paraglows, and the Onkens. Tick tick tick tick tick tick.

eek.gif
whoah! you're gunna be busy!

Apr 19, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 26
Good going Nick-

You're going to be a very busy solder slinger. I would like to know if the chassis plate comes unfinished or red like in the pic. Is Lloyd interested in registering and posting here? Maybe ask him if he is an EE or a professor of EE at a university (maybe I'm mistaken or am confusing him with someone else).

Neruda-

If the Mapletree outputs only 10mW vs. the MG Head's 150mW would this amp's probable forte be driving Grados and Audio Technicas?

Nick-

I am waiting with great anticipation a Bottlehead headphone amp. With Magnequest iron, parafeed, and his CCS boards I would expect it to be a giant slayer. But I don't think it will hit the market for maybe 2 years. I think this project is at the bottom of their list. I'm thinking of keeping the Head while waiting for the Bottlehead amp instead of upgrading. Maybe I'll slip in some Auricaps later this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back