New tube adapters from SinglePower
Apr 5, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
is it 99 per adapter so 99x2? would i notice improvement with hd650? thank you

Yes, each adapter is $99. I liked the Slam combination with my HD-650s, it helped liven them up a bit.

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Get two and use them for the outputs. Thats where the 5687's are at their best. The 6cg7/5687 x2 is an exceptionally dynamic combo and the 5687's open up the soundstage. This tube combo is made for rock.
cool.gif

I can agree with this statement.A very in your face hitting sound that is perfect for Grado's.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #18 of 28
The adapters for the 6cg7 will do you wonders, no doubt. You will become slamified using those 5687's as output tubes!

To bad you can't send your Slam in to upgrade it a bit more, like having a 6sn7 for gain, this way you can always use the 6cg7 adapter on it if you want!
icon10.gif

Heck!! Throw some BlackGates in as well!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 28
lol, hopefully i've spent enough for awhile. but yes that would beat NEATTTT
thanks for suggestions

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #20 of 28
If the new 9 pin mini socket to 9 pin mini socket and 12 volt 5687 adapters arent enough .... he is experimenting with octal main base, dual top socket adapters, that would house two 9 pin mini socket single triodes, wired to operate as a dual triode.
very_evil_smiley.gif

This means high power SINGLE triode tubes (for example the 6s4a or 12b4) could be used two output tubes per channel in the Singlepower amps.
basshead.gif

This in turn means .... more high quality, inexpensive and readily available high power output tubes for those with Singlepower amps.
cool.gif

EDIT: I forgot to mention the possibility of dual 5687 adapters for the Supra's. For those of you that use the 5687's .... imagine two 5687's per side.

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 28
Does anyone know if these new adaptors will work with a MPX3 configured for 6cg7s? Mine has these silver spacers that stick up an inch or so and I wonder if that will prevent using the 6cg7 -> 5687 adaptors. Can the spacers be removed or are they an integral part of the tube socket? I'd love to be able to substitute in some 5687s.

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #23 of 28
i'm sure Mikhail can work with you on that. i'm just glad that new 9 mini pin adapters are being made, in case my one of a kind 6CG7->6SN7 adapter ever quits working, for whatever reason. being able to go between 6CG7 and 6SN7/7N7 is a very nice thing.

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 28
I got a SLAM 6SN7 upgrade in fall. Great choice, a much better amp for my application. At the time the 6SN7->6CG7 adapter was still in the making. Last thing I heard was they were supposed to be ready in January, but I haven't heard back from SP. They were supposed to cost only a few bucks (15 or something) when I asked Mikhail a few months ago. How much are these (old) adapters now, and are the new ones much more complicated (or custom) to justify the price hike?

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman
Does anyone know if these new adaptors will work with a MPX3 configured for 6cg7s? Mine has these silver spacers that stick up an inch or so and I wonder if that will prevent using the 6cg7 -> 5687 adaptors. Can the spacers be removed or are they an integral part of the tube socket? I'd love to be able to substitute in some 5687s.

If he is using a slim 9 pin mini base I think they might work. He is well aware of the sockets with the lip. I would send him a email and ask. You would love the 5687's with a good 6cg7 driving them for rock and blues.
basshead.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
How much are these (old) adapters now, and are the new ones much more complicated (or custom) to justify the price hike?

There never ended up being any old adapters .... to my knowledge. The current adapters have a network in them specificaly designed to work with that particular tube. The adapter network is necessary to have the tube bias correctly and draw the proper amount of current. Fitting these networks in the tiny space inside a socket .... especially a 9 pin socket .... is very labor intensive. He actually uses a custom milling machine to fabricate the parts. The current price for the adapters I have purchased is $99 each.

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 28
I see. Thanks for the info, Earl. Guess I wouldn't use the 6cg7 in gain all that much anyway, as I love the 6sn7 gain / 5687 output configuration to death. I guess it's time to pass along my 6cg7 collection then. Spring cleanup - any takers?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back