New triple.fi review
Oct 12, 2006 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

m_memmory

1000+ Head-Fier
Triple.fi review

Apparently the new triple.fi's are better then the E500 - well ... according to this reviewer they are.

Just thought I'd post this up as I don't think anyone else has posted this yet and it might be of some interest to some who are thinking about them or just want to read some more impressions.

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 31
Let me quote the listener's impressions on the sound:

Quote:

I found the sound to be gloriously well balanced, with sparkling highs, tight bass, and an impressive amount of detail in the midrange. I tested them against another triple-driver set of earphones, the Shure E500PTH, as well as my Etymotic ER4-P (with the S-adapter cable attached), and I definitely prefer the triple.fi 10 Pro above all of them. Compared with the Shure E500, the triple.fi's bass is tighter and less overwhelming, and the highs are more prominent and crisp. The Etymotic headphones are more accurate, but that means less bass and a somewhat harsh overall sound compared with the triple.fi, which sounds warmer and has stronger bass. Overall, the triple.fi gives me the best balance and most expansive sound among any in-ear models I've tested.

I think this is extremely informative and put into a very easy to perceive manner. Would you say that the Triple.Fi's are more forward than the E500 then? Clearer highs and tighter bass also indicate that the Triple.Fi's are more geared towards analytical listening than the E500.

Oct 12, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 31
I'd just like to say that I've neither heard the E500 nor the triple.fi

I would like to hear both - actually the E500 looks better to me in terms of style and looks (although looks don't matter when it comes to sound of course) but I've not got the money to get them yet and with the things that I have to fund in the next few months I don't think I can really spare that kind of money on them anyway.

I wasn't saying anything about the review - I actually think it's an interesting, honest review of the IEM and how that person sees them. I was only posting the link so that others can see it and read it.

If it helps anyone with their idea of what they might sound like and whether they are right/wrong for their individual tastes then thats cool

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 31
What you really want is a custom IEM
evil_smiley.gif

1. Fits 100% of the time.
  2. Full marks for comfort.
  3. No messing around with tips.
  4. ANY colour/pattern/design you want.
  5. Pretty discrete.
  6. Looks bling.
  7. Sounds bling.
    wink.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 31
now you've got me there - I'd love a custom IEM

but not with the money I've (not) got at the moment.
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 31
I need to save 500 quid to buy the T2i. They're basically Sensas, but with a 2 year warranty and new HF drivers.

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
What you really want is a custom IEM
evil_smiley.gif

1. Fits 100% of the time.
  2. Full marks for comfort.
  3. No messing around with tips.
  4. ANY colour/pattern/design you want.
  5. Pretty discrete.
  6. Looks bling.
  7. Sounds bling.
    wink.gif

AND ZERO RESALE VALUE!

I'll take universals anyday....

Oct 12, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 31
If they're better than any universal available anyway, why would a zero resale value matter? They're considered the end of the IEM road by most.

Oct 12, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

If they're better than any universal available anyway, why would a zero resale value matter? They're considered the end of the IEM road by most.

that's what i think. why waste the 400 dollars for a e500 or tri fi instead of getting maybe even an es1

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

I need to save 500 quid to buy the T2i. They're basically Sensas, but with a 2 year warranty and new HF drivers.

They look interesting.

At the moment I'm pondering on saving up for the UM2's with a hornet to make them shine.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 31
I can't reveal too much as I've committed myself to a full review elsewhere (soon all will be revealed), however I will say that in comparing both units, I thought I would prefer the E500 hands down and that is NOT the case! each has a different sound and different factors that impress, but as it stands currently, I'm in a dead heat. Tonally, UE 3fi's beat the E500's (hands down) - form factor and bass "oomph" goes to the E500 (at a cost however). Be sure to look for my full review (about 1 week or so) on earphone solutions. I'll give you the full scoop then. Damn, this is going to be a tight race as far as IEM's go!

Oct 12, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 31
I own neither but am in the market for either. But I only want one and its tough to decide which is better at this point. Ill have to wait for more reviews. But thanks for posting this link cause the guy who does the review in PCMAG definitly puts it in Layman's terms and its therefore easy to understand.

Previously he thought the Shure E500 was Shure's Magnum Opus. But then he eats his words once he hears the Triple fi 10 pros. Both got an "editor's choice" award, both recieve a lot of praise. We need more head to head comparisons.

Oct 12, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 31
I doubt that we will ever see a clear winner in this race. From the initial reviews it appears that it will come down to personal preference.

It's obvious that both products offer outstanding sound reproduction, that provide something slightly different for each one of us.

I think you can't go wrong with the e500s if you want a low-profile IEM that offers excellent bass response. By the same token, it appears that you can't go wrong by going with the t.f10 Pros if you want something with a slightly more analytical sound at a discount to the e500s.

Competition like this is great for all of us here at Head-Fi (if not for our wallets) and in the end we will end up enjoying our music more than ever.
eggosmile.gif

I've made my decision (see sig) and I'm stickin' with it! To all of you t.f 10Pro early adopters; Enjoy your new monitors.

Rob

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

I'm telling ya, it sucks when they have zero resale value. If they ever improve custom IEMs, your stuck. Plus, from what I understand the E500s and TripleFis are suppose to give the UE10s a run for the money and in some cases better (I'm hearing that they are more musical but I don't know).

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger
I doubt that we will ever see a clear winner in this race. From the initial reviews it appears that it will come down to personal preference.

It's obvious that both products offer outstanding sound reproduction, that provide something slightly different for each one of us.
Rob

From my impressions of each so far, you've got it spot on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back