NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM
Dec 21, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,188 of 1,275
warrior1975, I am hearing you but really 1964 Audio U12 is $1599 and the U18 is $2999. The same for the Empire Ears they are in the high's $2K with the modules. So if use a basis of cost per BA or a cost per DD, the total cost is what is confusing me. 

I am in no way challenging the IEM's qualities or sound.

It just seems that they have of course taking the same road as other IEM's and really hiking the costs.

Some of the main Japanese manufacturers were very expensive but I was explained by a USA based IEM manufacturer that their cost basis was skewed due to their Deflation situation.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,189 of 1,275
Those are more expensive than Tralucent. You don't need to spend $3k, you can get it with the stock cable, which is reasonable.

I can't say how they determine their prices, obviously but I don't think the drivers count for much of their costs at all. More the research, tuning, and marketing etc.

As far as Tralucent, Gavin has always been priced fairly high unfortunately. It I'd what it is. He doesn't have a large company, more of a boutique guy, so for that reason alone, usually that drives the prices up.

Of course, you don't have to buy his products (I don't mean that towards you nor do I mean it offensively), that's entirely up to the consumer. Am I happy Tralucent costs as much as it does? Hell no. Am I happy that I've purchased 4 different Tralucent iems? Hell yes. Each one was worth it to me. I loved them all. For me, they were worth it each time.

Don't forget, the Plus 5 is a 5 based driver. The Ref 1 is two basic and 2 DD in an isobaric chamber. I'm quite sure Gavin had a lot of tinkering to get the Ref 1 and ref 1 too to sound like it does.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #1,191 of 1,275
Yes, that 3k figure is with zero uBer cable. Plus 5 is $1850 with stock, far from cheap but a bit better than 3k.

Btw,wasnt trying to argue, be rude or insulting either. I hope it didn't come across that way.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,193 of 1,275
A question comes to my mind, the previous Gavin intras were the subject of many more reviews and returns, not this time (except this thread) due to a more confidential broadcast this time?, or what other reason?
I say that because I love the plus 5 and i am amazed at this

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #1,194 of 1,275
  A question comes to my mind, the previous Gavin intras were the subject of many more reviews and returns, not this time (except this thread) due to a more confidential broadcast this time?, or what other reason?
I say that because I love the plus 5 and i am amazed at this

Its been almost 4-5 years since those earlier Tralucent IEMs were released, the IEM market has grown to be oversaturated with many choices. Back then Tralucent's timing was excellent with many opening windows, I feel this is partly the reason. Secondly, the premium price prevents potential buyers simply jumping in without an audition. I didn't want to hand over cash before hearing Plus5, musicday spends a great majority of his time on head-fi seeking a Plus5 unit to demo.

And lastly preferences and personal feelings.  You adore Plus5 where as I've admitted the signature wasn't for me as a full-time keeper and I'm perhaps the biggest Tralucent fanboi (self confessed) on these forums, I adore every other product I own from Gavin. I'm sure it hasn't slipped people's minds Plus5 lacks the attention of yesteryear and those are my thoughts why.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,197 of 1,275
,Are the plus 5 supposed to be burned?
It seems to me after 35 hours that the sound loses like a veil and become more transparent and organic, but it is perhaps my brain that burns
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,199 of 1,275
  ,Are the plus 5 supposed to be burned?
It seems to me after 35 hours that the sound loses like a veil and become more transparent and organic, but it is perhaps my brain that burns
biggrin.gif

It will keep changing - for me up to about 200 hours. According to Gavin all his phones have long burn-in.
By the way, I did not used to believe in burn-in until I started buying Tralucent phones (I have all 3 models), and I'm amazed how much they have changed (for the better) after purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back