New toys KSC-35 & Ety ER4P
Mar 15, 2002 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AIM9x

Headphoneus Supremus
Although the order came 4 weeks later than supposed to, Headphone delivered. I have a major test tomorrow so I can't spend much time playing with these toys. I tried on the ER4P on really quickly. I used the Etys on my computer system, and since the angled tip won't fit in my headphone jack (it's domed for some stupid reason), i tested them with the 4p-4s adapter cable and they sound pretty good. They sound a little muffled, but i'm guessing a better seal will fix that. The KSC-35s were a bit confusing, they wouldn't stay on my ear until I tried a few times (the left side kept slipping). The KSC-35s sound GREAT. I think I'm going to start using these for regular use now.

My checking account is going to hurt for a while, but time will fix that. I can listen to good music now. All I need now is a Nomad III......... Another 300 dollars, AAAAAAAAAAH.

Mar 15, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 12
Welcome to the Etymotic Religion. Your soul belongs to us now. Prepare yourself brother!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 12
I use my Ety 4Ps all the time with my Archos Studio 20 Jukebox. Trust me... get the Archos instead of the Nomad. Much better. Go for the Recorder... it has the best sound.

Mar 16, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
Welcome to the Etymotic Religion. Your soul belongs to us now. Prepare yourself brother!
rolleyes.gif

Sometimes I wish I'd never heard of Etymotics.
mad.gif

Just so I could discover 'em all over again!
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm not sure about this seal thing. The phones sound great & all, but it doesn't seem like i'm getting that much noise isolation. I'm hearing rants & raves on not hearing anything around them, even with music off, but I'm hearing my roommate's conversation with one of my apartment-mates. I don't know if they're just talking louder to make me mad or if my seal is really bad. I know all these different 45 degree & increasing ear pressure tricks, but how far in am i supposed to shove these things? Am I supposed to go until the 3rd flange is in or just until it feels funky? give me some help here

Mar 17, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 12
I don't think I'm going to be able to return these. No matter how crazy people tell me I am for paying 269 for a pair of headphones..... Especially after already buying a 65$ & a 29.95 pair. I think these etys have made the perfect phone for me. I hate you guys for making me drop 270 bucks, but I love you guys for allowing me to realize how good music can sound. The etys are slightly irritating this deep, but I know I'll get used to it.

P.S. I still haven't heard these w/o the 4s adapter, whoops.

Mar 17, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 12
Just keep experimenting with them; you'll eventually get it right, I think. Personally, I tilt them upwards quite a bit and forward so that the colored stems are pretty much up against my earlobes. I insert them just deep enough to be airtight; no deeper than that. When I first got them I had a tendency to push them in as deep as I could stand, because it seemed to block out more noise. That may have been true, but it also diminished the sound quality and made them a little uncomfortable as well. A while back kwkarth suggested using just a tiny bit of Debrox on the rubber tips as a lubricant, and that has worked well for me.

If I have my ER4Ps in without any music playing, I can still hear things going on around me. For instance, if I'm sitting in front of my computer, I can still hear myself typing, but just barely. The first time I put them in my ears I thought, "Hmmm... these things sure don't block out as much noise as I expected." But when you turn the music on the difference is pretty amazing; background noise seems to magically disappear--and the music doesn't have to be very loud, either.

Mar 18, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 12
The trick to inserting Etymotics (and any earplug) is to get the tips a little wet, grab the top of your ear like Skipper would grab Gilligan's, then cram em in with a downward force, let go of your ear, relax then edge them back out just a little so that they become comfortable. That should provide enough isolation to quiet most people talking at a normal volume into something between inadible and a low rumble.

Another small tip (no pun intended): Clap your hands. Do you hear an echo in the room? If so, your room has more reflection than is ideal. Not only does this wreak havoc on the sound coming out of your speakers, but it makes everything including your roommates sound louder than they might otherwise sound. There are about six thousand crooks who can sell you all kinds of crap to help you eliminate the echo. Some cheaper things include a rug if you have thin carpet or hardwood, canvas paintings, thicker drapes if you have a window or worse, a sliding glass door, and even houseplants.

People also talk louder when there's ambient noise. Quiet the fans on your PC and turn the volume down on the TV and whatever other background noise prior to starting your listening session to dupe them into being quieter. It sounds silly but it'll work better than your dirty looks and grunts, I bet.

If all this fails, buy a Glock and plan a trip to West Texas to dump the bodies. Say hello to my ex while you're there but don't expect her to be conversational.

Mar 18, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Are you sure you don't want me to continue my glock experiment with your ex?

After toying with the Etys yesterday, I've gotten much better at the insertion technique, but I have worn out my right ear. I inserted and removed these things dozens of times and now my right ear slightly hurts when I hiccup so I'll stay away from the Etys for a little while (dunno how long I can take it). I must say while I didn't like country much before using these etys, after listening to Rodeo by Garth using my ER-4S (4P w/adapter), I've grown a new respect for the genre.

By the way, anybody willing to buy a V6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back