New toy in the house...
Jan 2, 2007 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
After some long weeks of thinking about it, I decided that I had thought too much and it was time to DO IT instead of thinking too much... HD650 is here
600smile.gif

hd650resizednw3.jpg

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 23
Now there's a nice "portable" rig....

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 23
Yes, it's a killer portable setup for sure. Anyone know for how long I should burn-in the HD650s? I have about 12 hours on them and am truly impressed with these cans, they have a wonderful euphonic sound with big soundstage and LOADS of dynamics (when mated with The Hornet)
icon10.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's a killer portable setup for sure. Anyone know for how long I should burn-in the HD650s? I have about 12 hours on them and am truly impressed with these cans, they have a wonderful euphonic sound with big soundstage and LOADS of dynamics (when mated with The Hornet)
icon10.gif

I believe that some headphones need serious burn-in.
Not the HD650.
In my experience they sound good from the start and don't change noticably.

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 23
Thanks Greatdane, it took me quite some time saving the money to build this rig, but I'm happy with how it's coming out.

Man, these headphones have a lot of soundstage, punch and slam, and I am also impressed at how well The Hornet manages to drive them, with loads of macro and micro dynamics, and detail. Truly a great amp in a little package.
eek.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 23
Thats a sweet rig, I must say, I kinda like how everything is small, then you have a large headphone
basshead.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 23
Can you post some more detailed impressions? I am getting the 650s in the mail in a week, im so excited!

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, these headphones have a lot of soundstage, punch and slam, and I am also impressed at how well The Hornet manages to drive them, with loads of macro and micro dynamics, and detail. Truly a great amp in a little package.
eek.gif

x2

I've been enjoying my HD650s for the past week. So much, infact, that I ordered a cable upgrade within owning them for less than 3 days.
tongue.gif
I too was surprised at how well the Hornet M drives them. I'm sure a homeamp will sound alot better, but I'm currently enjoying my ignorance way to much to care.
icon10.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you post some more detailed impressions? I am getting the 650s in the mail in a week, im so excited!

Well, I am comparing the brand new HD650s with my fully burnt-in (300+ hours) HD595s, and I can tell you the HD650 has:
- a larger soundstage
- more natural sounding treble (less harsh) and a bit more recessed but definitely NOT rolled off
- greater low extension, much better bass performance/response, especially in terms of "fatness" of the bass notes
- definitely A LOT MORE dynamics/punch/slam
- an overall more "relaxed" presentation, full, lush, big.
- the midrange feels more bodied and there is more coherent instrument placement/separation

On a side note I can tell you that drums and percussions are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better on the HD650.... night & day difference imho...

Jan 3, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #12 of 23
damn rick that is some killer portable rig you got there!
580smile.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 23
After 24 hours of burn-in the detail is coming out nicely.
Man, am I impressed? Yes, I am.

I'm listening to wish you were here and I swear I can hear not only gilmour's fingers sliding over the strings but I can actually hear even the faint sound of the strings touching the frets when he shifts chords... and I can hear him BREATHE clearly while he plays the intro... Amazing. HD595s were not as much resolving as these 650s.
blink.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 23
Very nice portable setup
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back