New to Vinyl. Need help setting up.
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fghtffyrobesity

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I recently found a record player and speakers from my grandma's basement. Turns out they were my mom and dad's and they said I could have it. The only problem is I have no idea what to do with it. It didn't come with any wires and it needs a new cartridge.

So, if I could get some recommendations for a new cartridge (something cheap. Nothing over $50 and would like to stay around $25 or $30) and how to hook up the speakers, that would be awesome!

Cartridge
sdc105548383879.jpg

Back of Speakers
sdc105488391985.jpg

Back of Speakers
sdc105498400699.jpg

Back of Player
sdc105518410931.jpg

Speakers and Player
sdc105568940232.jpg

Player
sdc105558972801.jpg

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem is I have no idea what to do with it. It didn't come with any wires and it needs a new cartridge.

That's a pretty basic BSR style auto changer by the looks it. The needle you need is something like this LP Gear: needle LP & 78.
so won't cost much at all.

I'd ring them up and ask though as I've no idea what brand it is from the pics. Panasonic maybe?

Wiring up the speakers is easy. What kind of wires you need depends on the sockets on the back of the main unit so you'll need to photograph these before anyone can tell you. Somewhere like Radioshack will have whatever plugs and cable you need though.

I wouldn't expect much from this in Hi-Fi terms as it's really just a Radiogram of sorts by the looks of it. It's from the '60s by the design I'd say so should be solid enough and they are fun to play with. BYou'll need to put it on a shelf away from the speakers when you connect it up.

Have a look around for some old 7" singles which you can stack up on the centre spindle and watch it drop them and play them one at a time.
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 8
The unit is a panasonic RE-8015. The fourth picture down is actually the back of it but its the back of the speakers which confuse me. It's just two screws on the back (second and third picture down)

But thanks for the recommendation on the needle. I'll pick one up

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 8
You'll need something like this to hook up the speakers:

12-Ft. RCA-Plug-to-Lugs Speaker Cable - RadioShack.com

The RCA plug end goes into the back of the receiver, then you screw the spade end down on the speakers. Make sure you are consistent with the color of the lug you connect up to the +/- terminals on both speakers. (It doesn't really matter which color you use, just as long as you're consistent. This will ensure that the speakers are in phase.)

Edit: In case you decide to buy that Radio Shack part, it looks like it's just one cable, so you'll need to buy two.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 8
The needle says it is a ST12-H. Does that H make a difference or should I be good with just an ST12.

Also, thanks for the help. I'm excited for getting this set up

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll need something like this to hook up the speakers:

12-Ft. RCA-Plug-to-Lugs Speaker Cable - RadioShack.com

The RCA plug end goes into the back of the receiver, then you screw the spade end down on the speakers. Make sure you are consistent with the color of the lug you connect up to the +/- terminals on both speakers. (It doesn't really matter which color you use, just as long as you're consistent. This will ensure that the speakers are in phase.)

Edit: In case you decide to buy that Radio Shack part, it looks like it's just one cable, so you'll need to buy two.

So, I went to Radio Shack and picked up these cables. Problem is the RCA part won't go in all the way....
sdc105573440163.jpg

EDIT: My bad, I bought 3.5mm to spade instead of RCA to spade. How stupid!

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: My bad, I bought 3.5mm to spade instead of RCA to spade. How stupid!

Oops! Radio Shack usually has a pretty generous return/exchange policy. If not, and if you're handy with a soldering iron, you could probably just pick up some cheapo RCA plugs to replace the 3.5 mm plugs.

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Yep. They let me bring in the one I opened and the unopened one and exchange them. It was just a pain to drive 5 miles each way to get them.

But the good news is that it works now! The left speaker is a little quiet compared to the right, but no complaints! Its 30-40 years old and still works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back