New to turntables/vinyl and need some help
Nov 19, 2004 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DigiToast

New Head-Fier
Despite that fact that I know nothing about turntables and I am clueless about what to do, I'd like to get into vinyl and experience it.

I am hoping that I can get some feedback about what I need to buy and can get away with for a $200-300 budget. If possible, I'd also like to purchase whatever I can from Amazon because I have an accumlated amount of gift certificates to spend..

What I am currently thinking of buying: Thorens TD170 (ASIN B00006HONK)
If I do get that, however, then I'll be at the absolute limit of my budget and probably won't have money for anything else that I might need.. this leads to my next two questions:
1.) Is it necessary to replace the cartridge on a turntable after you buy it? and
2.) Will I need to buy a stage if I plan on using it with my Pioneer A-35R? It has a phono input + grounding screw in the back.

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiToast
Despite that fact that I know nothing about turntables and I am clueless about what to do, I'd like to get into vinyl and experience it.

I am hoping that I can get some feedback about what I need to buy and can get away with for a $200-300 budget. If possible, I'd also like to purchase whatever I can from Amazon because I have an accumlated amount of gift certificates to spend..

What I am currently thinking of buying: Thorens TD170 (ASIN B00006HONK)
If I do get that, however, then I'll be at the absolute limit of my budget and probably won't have money for anything else that I might need.. this leads to my next two questions:
1.) Is it necessary to replace the cartridge on a turntable after you buy it? and
2.) Will I need to buy a stage if I plan on using it with my Pioneer A-35R? It has a phono input + grounding screw in the back.

You are very lucky- your receiver has phono input!

Extra phono stage costs you some bucks.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Beware! With that Thorens, you're actually just buying Dual, in this case a mix of the CS435-1 and CS455. So, if you have a good opportunity to order from Germany, I'd strongly suggest to look into the original Duals, first - because you'd get a better table for the same money. For example here: http://www.hifi-jaeger.de/dual.htm

Best option in the Dual range is the CS505-4, which is a subchassis table - not as good as a vintage Thorens, but quite close for the money. Then follows the newly introduced CS455-1M, which you might find remarkly similar to the newly introduced Thorens TD240 - with the striking difference that the Dual is 50 % cheaper.
biggrin.gif
Then follow the CS455 (= TD190) and the CS535-1. The current TD295 version is a Pro-Ject 1.2 in disguise, btw - however it looks fairly nice. All in all, though, it's a bit depressing that the new Thorens doesn't sell old Thorens quality, anymore. The only thing they have kept seems to be the price...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't know the price of the Thorens so I don't know your budget. That said, I think the best deal right now might be the MusicHall MMF5 which you can get at GoodGuys or better yet from Todd the Vinyl Junkie (sponsor here).
I owned this table and it's very, very good. I couldn't resist an upgrade to a very sexy TT but I almost regret having spent the $ because the MusicHall was really great. Your phono stage in your receiver will likely sound fine and you can always upgrade your stage and cartridge later without need to upgrade the turntable.
I really don't think there's any way you'd be disappointed with that TT.
Good Luck
CPW

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 6
That Music Hall is more than double my current budget (300 max, hoping for 200 if humanly possible). Is there anything good to say about the Thoren 170 I'm looking at or is it a "don't bother" type of thing? I'd really like to just pick something up at Amazon since that would be the easiest and cheapest thing for me to do.

Edit: I think that I've decided to go with a Music Hall 2.1 that I can get through Amazon for $289. I'll probably put in my order tomorrow after I sleep on the matter. If anybody has anything to say about whether or not I should go for this, please do.. thanks =)

Nov 25, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiToast
That Music Hall is more than double my current budget (300 max, hoping for 200 if humanly possible). Is there anything good to say about the Thoren 170 I'm looking at or is it a "don't bother" type of thing? I'd really like to just pick something up at Amazon since that would be the easiest and cheapest thing for me to do.

Edit: I think that I've decided to go with a Music Hall 2.1 that I can get through Amazon for $289. I'll probably put in my order tomorrow after I sleep on the matter. If anybody has anything to say about whether or not I should go for this, please do.. thanks =)

I think the Music Hall 2.1 with factory installed Goldring Elan cartridge is the better choice for a first TT under $300 if you are buying from Amazon. The Goldring Elan is a moving magnet type cartridge and has a good output level to match the standard phono inputs on most consumer-type receivers/amplifiers that have a phono input on them. You would need an extra phono preamp stage if you were using a low-output moving coil type cartridge but you don't have to worry about that with the cartridge already mounted on the Music Hall 2.1. I would invest in a Hi-Fi News Test Record available from The Needle Doctor and other places to check to see that your cartridge tracking force and anti-skating is set correctly. It is a little pricey at around $40 but worth it to insure everything is set up correctly. I would also invest in a good needle brush and a record brush - the soft felt kind. There are a lot of carbon-fiber type record brushes out there but I have heard they can damage your records if used incorrectly. Also make sure the turntable is LEVEL and on a solid table or bench that doesn't rock or bounce. You can pick up inexpensive bubble levels at places like Home Depot or Lowe's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back