New To This
Dec 17, 2009 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

hardRAWKR

100+ Head-Fier
I've been lurking around the forums for a few days and today I finally decided to come out of the shadows and post. I have to say though, this whole audiophile business is starting to scare me.

Anyway, I've got a pair of AD700's on the way that should arrive sometime tommorow. These are my first real headphones and I'm curious to see what everyone thinks. I, personally, am extremely excited.
I'm going to be using them for music primarily, I'm not big on games or movies. The genre I listen to most is metal, particularly the death variant, although I listen to a fair amount of classical and some various other genres too. My source is mainly my iPod although I will probably also be using my PC and whenever possible (it's in the living room where it may not always be accessible and I don't have very many CD's) a nice home CD Player. No amplification for now, I spent all my money on the phones.

So what are your thoughts? I'm particularly curious about the whole "burn-in" thing. Does it really make such a big difference? In particular with the AD700's, what is the effect? Should I be saving up for amplification for these? Is there a set of headphones that would be better suited to my purposes that you recommend?
Jeez I have so many questions. :p

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 36
From my post-
Quote:

My source is mainly my iPod although I will probably also be using my PC and whenever possible (it's in the living room where it may not always be accessible and I don't have very many CD's) a nice home CD Player.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 36
Delightful greeting by the way. Do you do that for everyone? XD

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 36
Ad700s are one of hte cans that are marvelous unamped, so ipod will be fine. FWIR i dont think they scale very well with an amp (since they already sound close to their optimal), so perhaps when you do want to upgrade, you may have to get a new pair of headphones as well. Though, i will say that having tried them, they are a bit large for portable use and moving about. That may be because I have a smaller head and they kept slipping off
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 36
haha, I agree HF will make you poor. Trust me!

The AD700 is quite good from what Ive read. It's hard to say which one is better or if there is anything better. I think the ATH gives a nice balanced between your genres. Amps aren't really necessary at all, only if you feel or know the need for one. Burn in is another yes it does work, no it doesn't, type of subject. I think burn in does something, lol.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 36
I'm not really worried about portability, I have "cheapo" (40 bucks from Radioshack) headphones for that. These will be for sitting at home, eyes glazed over listening to music.
As for genre, how do the AD700's hold up for what I listen to? (mostly death metal, some classical, various other things too)

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my post-

Yeah, I admit I did not read you entire post.

I can't comment on the fone you bought, but I will add that my Grados 125s sound very nice right off my iPod touch and even my iMac.

As far as burn in, there are many ideas and opinions. I think fones break-in, I just listen from day one and enjoy.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Yeah, I admit I did not read you entire post.

I can't comment on the fone you bought, but I will add that my Grados 125s sound very nice right off my iPod touch and even my iMac.

I'm actually considering getting a Grado specifically for my death metal listening. Would the 125's be good for that?

Quote:

As far as burn in, there are many ideas and opinions. I think fones break-in, I just listen from day one and enjoy.

That's exactly what I was planning on.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pincher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Run!! RUN!! This will bankrupt you!!1111!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, I agree HF will make you poor. Trust me!

+1.. find something you like/can live with and get out while you can

Quote:

I'm actually considering getting a Grado specifically for my death metal listening. Would the 125's be good for that?

yes, or the ms-1s

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1.. find something you like/can live with and get out while you can

This is an interesting community...discouraging new members?
:p
I hope I can make it out alive.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

This is an interesting community...discouraging new members?
:p
I hope I can make it out alive.

no... if you stay too long your wallet is going to be a lot lighter.. like mine
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 36
Oh I see.
Unfortunately I'm pretty much broke to begin with.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Oh I see.
Unfortunately I'm pretty much broke to begin with.

doesnt matter - upgraditis doesnt discriminate between rich and poor. Next thing you know you'll be living on instant noodle saving up for some he90s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back