New to this world
Jun 22, 2006 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Yocal

New Head-Fier
Heya all,

I think i should start off by introducing myself :) Im from Denmark and i stumpled across this great forum when i was looking for some information about headphones and amps. I dont know much about it, all i know that i really enjoy listening to music and all the details in it. I know nothing better than listening to a piece of music maybe for the 500th time - and suddently discover a new twist in the music...

Im about to invest in a new pair of headphones, and i've read tons of reviews but i dont feel im getting anywhere, really. I've noticed that most people talk about the:

- Sennheiser HD 650
- AKG K701

Which is about the amount of cash i want to (read: can) spend on it, when i also have to get some kind of amp for it (I've ordered Jans anniversary head-amp which i was recommended by many :)).

What can you say about these headphones, did i miss some super-headphone that i never heard of? The price shouldnt go over $500 - also - head phones have some stupid habbit of being almost twice as expensive in Denmark, hehe.

I'd love some input because i'd hate to shoot that much money after a product that i will not be satisfied with... :)

Again, hello to you all :)

// Yoc.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 15
hi there, can't comment on the 650 or 701 cause I heard neither, but if
headphones are so expensive in denmark and you're going to buy a sennheiser, akg, beyerdynamic or some other german/european headphone i think it's best to order them in germany, as far as i know thats the cheapest way to get them!

bas

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by basb
hi there, can't comment on the 650 or 701 cause I heard neither, but if
headphones are so expensive in denmark and you're going to buy a sennheiser, akg, beyerdynamic or some other german/european headphone i think it's best to order them in germany, as far as i know thats the cheapest way to get them!

bas

Yeah, yeah... Didn't I hear that Sennheisers were wicked cheap over there in Germany?

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 15
Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yocal
I've noticed that most people talk about the:

- Sennheiser HD 650
- AKG K701

That may be, but you might have different tastes than most people.

Quote:

What can you say about these headphones, did i miss some super-headphone that i never heard of?

Indeed, you missed many. Some prefer less expensive models from those manufacturers or heaphones from different manufacturers altogether. Others even prefer headphones that have been discontinued long ago.

You should try to discover what kind of sound you're really after (you might be surprised) if you want useful advice. There are many flavours out there. Listening to a few good headphones, possibly cheaper models, would help a lot.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 15
You should be able to pick up a pair of HD650 (if thats what your after) for around the 300 euro mark and if your lucky alot cheaper.Try the usual,ebay ,online stores etc.

Jun 23, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 15
Tell us about the kind of music you listen to, any sonic preferences you have, etc. Can't recommend a headphone without that info.

Oh and sorry about your wallet, but it looks like it's already too late since you bought a Head-Five!
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 15
Not so many talk about Beyerdynamic DT-880, but the folks who do talk about it, are passionate about it
icon10.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 15
There are a lot of phones with big followings.

AKG K1000, K340, misc stax phones, grado to name a few.

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 15
Heya all,

Thanks for the welcome... Oh, the choices the choices. My biggest headache is that i cant really try out the headphones - so i kinda have to rely on what comes out of you guys :) No bigger hifi stores around where i live, unfortunatly.

What i listen to the most is modern music... Pop, rock, r'n'b... I like a good firm and fast bass that i can feel, and not a too squeeky treble...

Yeah, i've read about the Beyerdynamic DT-880 as well, but as far as i could see from the reviews it wasnt the best choice for modern music - correct me if i am wrong :)

<Hold his wallet tight> I will not be addicted like all of you !! <point fingers>

// Yoc.

Jun 24, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 15
If you're not averse to closed headphones, I'd recommend either the AKG K271S or Beyerdynamic DT770/80 (or the DT250/80 but I haven't heard it). You'd need a beefy amp for the K271S though - but since it's under $200, that leaves you a nice chunk to play with.

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

What i listen to the most is modern music... Pop, rock, r'n'b... I like a good firm and fast bass that i can feel, and not a too squeeky treble...

You want to check some Grados. A completely different "flavour" than the Sennheisers, much more suited, IMO, to your music.

Look in the FS forum here and on ebay, otherwise Grado prices are insane in Europe.

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 15
2006 edition of DT990 should be great for you, atleast what i have readed about it. Excellent bass without forgetting good mids and highs.

If you dont like harsh treble, Grados are NOT for you. While being excellent in metal and rock, their overall brightness turns some people down. Plus, they are insanely costly in europe... unfortunately...
frown.gif

DT770 in the other hand is barely nothing more but a head-mounted subwoofer, i doubt you would enjoy it.

Jun 24, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Grados don't have harsh treble. Well, except the SR325
biggrin.gif
.And if one does still feel highs are too harsh... FLATS!!!

Sorry, i meant crystalline sound, which some find as "harsh highs". Depends on person, really. I dont find them harsh actually.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back