New to this: What are amps?
Jan 21, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 29
well the Fiio E5 is about as good as you are going to get in that very limited price range.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the Fiio E5 is about as good as you are going to get in that very limited price range.

Thanks a lot qusp! Well, now i just need a website to buy it from in Canada? Any recommendations on where to buy? Would you recommend the E3 or the E5?

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonPirateKing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything more affordable and good quality for a student? After all, it's my first time.
By the way, I'm using a Second Generation iPod nano, would that change the situation?

Buying amps is like paying for sex. Don't go cheap - ESPECIALLY if it is your first time.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying amps is like paying for sex. Don't go cheap - ESPECIALLY if it is your first time.

tongue.gif
well, seriously now...........

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #21 of 29
I'll pick E5 over E3. You can get them over at DealExtreme.com (HK based w/ free shipping), I heard they just lower their price by one or two dollars. While you at it, you can probably pick up some cheap gadgets as well
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll pick E5 over E3. You can get them over at DealExtreme.com (HK based w/ free shipping), I heard they just lower their price by one or two dollars. While you at it, you can probably pick up some cheap gadgets as well
biggrin.gif

Thanks ClieOs!

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #26 of 29
I'm not sure about the E5, but you definitely don't want the E3 with the PortaPros. The E3 gives a bit of a bass boost which doesn't go to well with the already bassy PortaPros. But really, with the PortaPro I wouldn't bother with an amp, they run fine straight from an ipod and you wouldn't get a discernible improvement in sound quality.

Although for the price, and if you want to get an E5 to try it out, go nuts. New toys are always fun
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about the E5, but you definitely don't want the E3 with the PortaPros. The E3 gives a bit of a bass boost which doesn't go to well with the already bassy PortaPros. But really, with the PortaPro I wouldn't bother with an amp, they run fine straight from an ipod and you wouldn't get a discernible improvement in sound quality.

Although for the price, and if you want to get an E5 to try it out, go nuts. New toys are always fun
tongue.gif

Thanks, but currently, im wondering what an lod is, how it works, and if i need one. I currently have a 2nd gen ipod nano for source.

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #28 of 29
It stands for Line Out Dock. It allows you to get a line level signal from your ipod to feed to an amp, thus bypassing the internal amplifier of the ipod that supplies the ipod headphone jack.

As for if you need one; if you're using an external amplifier it is a good idea to use a LOD as the quality of the sound coming is only as good as what goes in and what goes in will not be as good if it's already been through the ipod internal amplifier.

If YOU need one is up to you and if you think it's worth it. For the PortaPros, again, I wouldn't go too extreme. But by spending time here at head-fi, you will probably be wanting to get more and better headphones, and everything else, sooner or later
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back