new to this scene - a few questions
Jun 29, 2011 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GreySounds

New Head-Fier
First of all, hi. First post...

So, I used to be fairly into audio with a nice Linn home set-up. A long time passes, that system is gone and here I am itching for nice audio again. I'm thinking of starting into this world of hi-end headphones, etc.

Just starting off I have a pair of Etymotic HF3's with custom ear molds. I'm happy with them so far.  Are they the best thing I've ever heard? No. But I'm happy with them as a starting spot.

All of my audio now is through an iDevice (iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad) or through my laptop (MacBook Air). My question is, would a Fiio E7/E9 combo be a good starting spot for me (especially when paired with the Ety's)? If not, could someone recommend something similar. In starting my research that looks like an option that I could use while moving around and also use it on my desk at my computer.

I'm thinking of taking a trip into the brick & mortar shop of www.headphonebar.com this weekend and checking out that set-up. Longer term, I'm thinking about testing out some full size (over ear) Sennheisers or perhaps some Grados or maybe sticking with IEM's like some Ultimate Ears.

My listening style; I like a bit of bass but not over the top (I tried a pair of Beats Studios to see what all the fuss was about and found them to be very bass-muddy and congested; not for me at all).  I tend to enjoy and pick up on the mids and highs in music (I quickly tried out the Bowers & Wilkins P5 and found them to be a bit too bright).  Vocals are very important.  I listen to a wide range of music (rock, rap, folk, jazz, blues, old rock, techno, etc.)  (To be fair, I didn't give the P5's much time.  I knew nearly instantly that the Beats were not for me.)

I'm really looking for some guidance starting off. I'd rather get that guidance here than in the store from a salesman who has more of an agenda (no offence to the people at HeadphoneBar, I've never been there and have only heard good things; just sales people in general).

Oh, one last question, if I went with this set-up how much would my listening benefit from going back and re-burning my CDs in Apple Lossless?

Thanks in advance.  I'm sure I'll learn a lot on these forums.  And, judging by some other posts, find out new ways to leak money! LOL

Best,
GreySounds

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 3
my suggestions:

1) upgrade the headphones; with Etymotics 4R-P (or 4R-S if you also go #4) you should be able to keep your custom mold

2) upgrade the audio files switching to lossless (Apple lossless or, even better, FLAC if you also go #3)

3) upgrade the player (e.g. s:flo2) 

4) add a good AMP (e.g. Leckerton UHA-4 or Arrow Headstage)

ciao -- Nando

Users who are viewing this thread

Back