New to this realm. What to choose?
May 23, 2007 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BigStig

Head-Fier
First, a brief introduction.

Hello! I've lurked on this forum for many, many months but only recently decided that it's time to upgrade. I have decided that I want to spend a couple hundred bucks or so and get a decent headphone setup. I currently have a pair of Shure E3c's that like and use at the gym and for mowing the lawn, and also a pair of Sennheiser PX-100's that I keep in my desk at work for 'chill-out' sessions. My wife has a pair of E2C's, so I know what those sound like. I had a pair of PX-200's, but ended up giving them to a buddy who needed a pair of headphones and was short on cash. Don't miss them that much, compared to the 100's. I have no serious complaints about either the px100's or the Shure's, other than the E3c's can start to bother my ears after a while.

My primary listening source for headphones is a 5G iPod, an iPod Nano, or XM radio. I also have a couple of dozen SACD's that I enjoy at home, and so I could possibly see using the headphone-out jack on my SACD player if the headphones were good enough to compete with my home system which consists of Axiom speakers, SVS sub, Pioneer Elite AVR, and Emotiva amps. I primarily listen to jazz (classic and contemporary) and classical music, but I also enjoy electronica such as Phutureprimitive, Gotan Project, Massive Attack, etc.

I like balance in my sound equipment. I don't want it too be too bassy, nor do I want sibilant highs. I like it cool, smooth, and accurate. I demand realism and excellent soundstage, and so I want headphones that can reasonably reproduce that but without breaking the bank (that may be impossible - I know what this hobby does to wallets and retirement funds).

So I'm looking for higher quality headphones of an open design. I don't want another pair of IEM's. So I'm looking for a set of circumaural (right?) cans for listening at home and maybe at work. I have read a lot about the Grado SR60/SR80's, and also the Senn. 595's. Slightly different price points, but similar for being 'entry-level, high-quality' cans. I'm leaning towards the 595's, simply because I'm familar with Sennheisers. I've never owned nor heard Grado's, so I don't know if I'll like the way they sound, judging from all of the comments around here (seems that you love 'em or hate 'em).

I'm also thinking that I might need/want to get an amp too, and I'm looking at the Bithead or Airhead as a solution there.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions as I try to decide what to buy.

Thanks all!
600smile.gif

May 23, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm not familiar with the HD595, but I am familiar with the HD600, so I have some idea of the Senns sound. On top of all of that; I am not even familiar with the "Grado" sound since I haven't heard them either! But I am familiar with the Alessandro/Grado sound which sound much like MY Axiom speakers, and judging by your taste in music and the way you like it presented; perhaps a similarly priced set of Alessandro MS-1 or even MS2i may be worth taking a look at!

...the MS2i has better soundstage and imaging almost as good as my HD600.

EDIT: Oh Yeah; the Alessandros' are closer to M3s while the Grados' are closer to the M22s. If that helps.

Check with Wid in the Axiom forum for more stuff.

May 23, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with the HD595, but I am familiar with the HD600, so I have some idea of the Senns sound. On top of all of that; I am not even familiar with the "Grado" sound since I haven't heard them either! But I am familiar with the Alessandro/Grado sound which sound much like MY Axiom speakers, and judging by your taste in music and the way you like it presented; perhaps a similarly priced set of Alessandro MS-1 or even MS2i may be worth taking a look at!

...the MS2i has better soundstage and imaging almost as good as my HD600.

Good work F107plus5! you just don't give a rest!
wink.gif

I quote!

Grab some MS!!

Cheers!

May 23, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Oh Yeah; the Alessandros' are closer to M3s while the Grados' are closer to the M22s. If that helps.

Check with Wid in the Axiom forum for more stuff.

That helps quite a bit. I know Wid from the Axiom forum. I didn't know he was a headphone junie too.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Beyer 770.....great all around cans, but your xm radio is going to sound llike dooky....the 770s are going to accentuate the 97mb compresssed sound, youll get a lot of snap crakle and pop...the cans are really comfy, its like when you wakke up all cold because you left the fan on and the window opend when you were sleeping and you then you take a nice hor shower and your skin gets goose bumps all over it...ahhhhhhohhhhhhhyeaaaaahhh.....it feels ile that, oh and an amp i have a mini moy....100 bucks for an amp....yea yea oh screw yea.......

May 23, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That helps quite a bit. I know Wid from the Axiom forum. I didn't know he was a headphone junie too.
biggrin.gif

Yup; and he's familiar with Grado since he has had a pair of SR-60 and SR-325i!!
Rich.

May 23, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 9
The BeyerDynamic DT770s are one of the LAST headphones you want if you prefer accuracy, balance and do not want big, bloated Bass. Just an FYI. If you DO want a very colored sound, with gobs of flabby BASS, and sucked out mids, then by all means, go for a pair of DT770s.

I would vote for a pair of MS-2is. They are a better candidate when considering your criteria, however they are not circumaural, they are supra-aural.

Good luck.

May 23, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 9
If you like PX100, you should go HD595, which is a safe choice. Grado/Alessandro is very unique that you may end up not like it at all (like me.)

May 23, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by thorshookah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snap crakle and pop...ahhhhhhohhhhhhhyeaaaaahhh.....it feels ile that...yea yea oh screw yea.......

Nobody special in view, but sometimes I really miss the "add to ignore list" feature the forum software supplied in earlier days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back