New to the whole audio thing, first set up?
Jun 12, 2014 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dizmo

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

I'm pretty new to the whole audio game. I've owned a pair of AudioTechnia M30's which I thought were amazing compared to the really basic headphones I'd used before, for about a decade. My other set of headphones are a pair of Monster IEM's, the Gratitude's. They're great for what I use them for (back and forth to work and exercise), however I've given the AT's to a friend and am looking for a replacement.

I've been looking at the HiFiMan HE-300's, HE-400's in particular.
How are these comfort wise? I've read mixed reviews from very comfortable to pretty brutal in the headband.
I was also looking at a set of Focal Spirit Classic's.

For powering them I was thinking about getting a LittleDot MK III or Aune T1 MK2. Part of me wants to tinker with the different tube set ups.
Are there any other suggestions? I'd be running the LittleDot through a stand alone DAC of some kind.

I'd be using them for music, gaming, movies...basically something so I don't disturb the roommates at night.

Oh, and how are the eBay after market cables for the HiFiMan's? They look a lot nicer.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! For the headphones, I'm looking for comfort as well as style.
I'm not a huge fan of fabric ear cups.
I'm open to either closed or open back headphones.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm also relatively new to the scene and I got a portable amp with no DAC and it improved the quality of the sound significantly. It depends on what you are looking for and I think it is good to get an AMP with or without DAC and move on from there.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 12
  I'm pretty new to the whole audio game. I've owned a pair of Audio Technia M30's which I thought were amazing compared to the really basic headphones I'd used before, for about a decade. My other set of headphones are a pair of Monster IEM's, the Gratitude's. They're great for what I use them for (back and forth to work and exercise), however I've given the AT's to a friend and am looking for a replacement.
I've been looking at the HiFiMan HE-300's, HE-400's in particular.
How are these comfort wise? I've read mixed reviews from very comfortable to pretty brutal in the headband.
I was also looking at a set of Focal Spirit Classic's.
For powering them I was thinking about getting a Little Dot MK III or Aune T1 MK2. Part of me wants to tinker with the different tube set ups.
Are there any other suggestions? I'd be running the Little Dot through a stand alone DAC of some kind.
I'd be using them for music, gaming, movies...basically something so I don't disturb the roommates at night.
Oh, and how are the eBay after market cables for the HiFiman's? They look a lot nicer.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! For the headphones, I'm looking for comfort as well as style.
I'm not a huge fan of fabric ear cups.
I'm open to either closed or open back headphones.

The Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used, $60) comes with a CS4398 DAC chip :)
The Xonar DX/D1 comes with Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound, which might help in some games.
And you can plug any external headphone amplifier you like into it.
Might try asking here about what works well for amping the HE-400.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 12
if u do not wanna disturb your frens n vice versa...it is better to get CLOSED cans.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 12
  I'm also relatively new to the scene and I got a portable amp with no DAC and it improved the quality of the sound significantly. It depends on what you are looking for and I think it is good to get an AMP with or without DAC and move on from there.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. What headphones and amp did you buy?

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 12

The Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used, $60) comes with a CS4398 DAC chip :)
The Xonar DX/D1 comes with Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound, which might help in some games.
And you can plug any external headphone amplifier you like into it.
Might try asking here about what works well for amping the HE-400.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Unfortunately I can't get a sound card, it's a laptop I'll be using. I have a Xonar STX in my PC, it lives in the living room though.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 12
Not sure if u have a budget to keep to.... :p

Tube amps...yaaa...i like this path. i went from LDMk3 to LDMk4se n now to DV336se...nothing too expensive but loads of FUN !!
* if i were to pick one, my fav would be the DV336se. BIGGER TUBES just LOOK better, n i am biased ..i think it sounded better/lusher too.
( just a general statement...of cos the tubes vary from brand to brand decades to decades..!? )

A few things to watch out for for Hifiman cans....the weight...the connectors...can be a pain...not sure if this apply to the two models u are looking at. i have the HE6..n the HE5 b4...i am living with the pain. lolz.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 12
  Not sure if u have a budget to keep to.... :p

Tube amps...yaaa...i like this path. i went from LDMk3 to LDMk4se n now to DV336se...nothing too expensive but loads of FUN !!
* if i were to pick one, my fav would be the DV336se. BIGGER TUBES just LOOK better, n i am biased ..i think it sounded better/lusher too.
( just a general statement...of cos the tubes vary from brand to brand decades to decades..!? )

A few things to watch out for for Hifiman cans....the weight...the connectors...can be a pain...not sure if this apply to the two models u are looking at. i have the HE6..n the HE5 b4...i am living with the pain. lolz.

Ideally I don't want to spend too much, I likely won't be using these as much when I move next year and get a speaker system.
I'll check out those tubes! What amp do you use?

Yeah the weight I've heard can be a bit much, how bad are the connectors? Are they really fragile?

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 12
For comfort, I can recommend the AKG K612 Pros. Not that my HE-400s are bad (to me), but the K612s are much better. The K612s have a fairly balanced response, whereas the HE-400s will have more bass emphasis.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 12
For comfort, I can recommend the AKG K612 Pros. Not that my HE-400s are bad (to me), but the K612s are much better. The K612s have a fairly balanced response, whereas the HE-400s will have more bass emphasis.

The only problem with those is the velour ear pads. I'm not the hugest fan of that material on my head.
They also don't have a detachable cable which is something I was also interested in. Being able to change out the lengths will come in very handy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back