New to the Portable Gear, and need some help..
Mar 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

joseisanewb012

Head-Fier
Hey Headfi! I have been recently looking into music sources, and figured if I should go portable or desktop. Considering the fact that I didn't really want to deal with a hassle like a computer to play music, I decided to just stay portable. So here is the rundown.

I am looking for a "portable' mp3 player that has around 4-8 GB. If there is more, than its fine. Nothing that dies too quickly. Great sound quality (anything than an apple product), could support a few other files like MP3, WAV, etc. No touch screen. I have heard that MP3s that have you pressing buttons than touching a screen doesn't break as easily as a touch screen. If it is necessary, then I will. Easy to use. I am not really into those fancy ones with WiFi, bluetooth, or Video, just music.

When I say "portable," I mean to just move around the house. I dont usually listen to music outdoors. I know it doesn't make sense. Why would you need a portable mp3 if you are staying at home? I am just more comfortable with it, and I dont just stay in one place around my house to listen to music. Now don't be confused with non portable mp3 players. Not looking for that. :p

I really don't want to be using a program to transfer my music. I just want it to be simple. Drag from the computer and drop it into the device. Maybe it isn't as easy. Staying on Budget would be nice. Price range is around from 30-150$. I know considering my price range, I might be (Or will be) limited to all of the options. Thanks! I know its a lot, sorry!

P.S. I am looking to add an amp to it (Fiio E11), I am wondering if all or most mp3s are capable of being connected with it..

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 7
I've done quite a bit of searching around DAPs with that criteria myself. It is rather painful how limited our options are with the advent of smart devices and touchscreens. The most recommended current line is the Sandisk Sansa Clip line with Rockbox (custom firmware).

I myself have a Samsung YP-R0 8GB that I was lucky enough to find on the cheap. I'm quite pleased with it, with the SQ to be about what I expected for the line.

You could look into some older players. Some of Archos' older button players have a Wolfson DAC, although I'm not sure about their current line.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I've done quite a bit of searching around DAPs with that criteria myself. It is rather painful how limited our options are with the advent of smart devices and touchscreens. The most recommended current line is the Sandisk Sansa Clip line with Rockbox (custom firmware).

I myself have a Samsung YP-R0 8GB that I was lucky enough to find on the cheap. I'm quite pleased with it, with the SQ to be about what I expected for the line.

You could look into some older players. Some of Archos' older button players have a Wolfson DAC, although I'm not sure about their current line.

Thanks for the recommendation! I hate how all of the devices such as androids and iPods are dominating the market. I will have a look into it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 7
If you are considering adding an Amp... maybe you might consider paying extra for a player with a more powerful amp built in?

See- http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/fiio-x3-appreciation-and-impressions-thread-update-march-20th-read-the-first-post-before-posting

It's not out for a couple of months yet.. but the Fiio X3 ticks a hell of a lot of the right boxes for me spec wise. I'm looking forward to this with great anticipation.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 7
Keep an eye on the Nova N3, early days yet but is looking like it could be a giant killer , and even now it is much better than clip or clip +

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 7
If you are considering adding an Amp... maybe you might consider paying extra for a player with a more powerful amp built in?

See- http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/fiio-x3-appreciation-and-impressions-thread-update-march-20th-read-the-first-post-before-posting

It's not out for a couple of months yet.. but the Fiio X3 ticks a hell of a lot of the right boxes for me spec wise. I'm looking forward to this with great anticipation.

Wow x.x
That is really looking great! The specs are great! Dont know everything, but I am familiar with some if it. I'll look out for this one definitely. And the price isn't that bad! Maybe I'll shell out a few more dollars for it. I can't for impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back