New to the headpohne thing and need help.
Mar 19, 2007 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bbusse

New Head-Fier
I realize I am asking about more than just headphones below but, didn't want to post the same question in three forums.

I am new to the headphone thing and need help. My wife recently had twin boys and I have not been able to listen to my main rig in a couple of months, an all Quad system. It is driving me crazy. I have a budget of $1k for headphones, amp and source and would like to go the earbud route, I think. I was looking at something from the Shure line, Creek amp and a Squeeze Box w/my computer. I talked to Vinny @ Red Wine and his IMod unit is interesting but, I am unsure because of no warranty on the IPod after he does his mods. I am going to continue to surf the forums here but, there is so much, I am having a hard time finding a starting point. I adhere to the theory that a system with high quality speakers and an average amp and source will sound better than a sytem with high quality amp and source and average speakers. I listen to Neil Young, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo and the like.

I do not need the setup to be mobile. Alright headphiles let hear some suggestions for my budget.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Burton

I do not need the setup to be mobile. Alright headphiles let hear some suggestions for my budget.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfing Sharks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He said he'd like to go the earbud route though, so I would assume full size headphones are out of the question.

That's too bad. I don't understand though, if he's using them at home why would you want IEM's?
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 16
Agreed, IEMs are waste of money for indoors usage where uber-isolation isnt needed. Closed headphones is much better choice soundquality-vise and still provide enough isolation so you wont bother others and smaller noises wont bother you.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 16
If you don't need isolation then maybe the Yuin PK1 should be fine.

That paired with a Xin SuperMicro IV and an iMod, and you're gonna be both portable and have great sound.

I'm quite sure I've read that Red Wine Audio does help you with support on your iPod, after the mod.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks guys.

That is why I posted here, being new to the headphone thing, I don't know what the best option is.

I don't have to go the earbud route. I thought it would be nice to have something small to pull home and travel duty but, I could just pick up some earbuds for travel and have over/on the ear phones for best sound quality. I would like some isolation so maybe over the ear would be good for isolation and sound quality.

OK, so $1k for best sound quality phones (with some isolation would be a bonus), amp and source.

Thanks,

Burton

Wow, three posts while I was typing this one.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 16
For your type of music, I don't think you need to go crazy here. I'd recommend an HD 595 (~$200), a meier corda arietta amp ($290), and spending the remaining $510 on some music.

Note, the 595 will leak a bit of sound, and don't isolate too well, but SQ wise, you are probably better off with an open phone. You may also want to look into the 2005 dt880 (semi-open). This may offer a bit more isolation without sacraficing sound quality.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 16
There's almost enough budget there to go with something portable as well as something to help keep the twins asleep comfortably through the night!

...congrats on the little ones, by the way!

But yeah, RS-1s and others were mentioned as being a good match to your music likes in an in-home set of cans.

Another way to go if you happen to like a wider variety of music is to get a complementary set of phones to cover all the bases. For me; the MS2i and HD600 do the trick, with the MS2i more for the "rock" side and the HD600 for classical.

....not a recommendation; just an example.
cool.gif

But yup; there are tons of good choice cans available, just gotta start narrowing it down a bit!
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's almost enough budget there to go with something portable as well as something to help keep the twins asleep comfortably through the night!

...congrats on the little ones, by the way!

But yeah, RS-1s and others were mentioned as being a good match to your music likes in an in-home set of cans.

Another way to go if you happen to like a wider variety of music is to get a complementary set of phones to cover all the bases. For me; the MS2i and HD600 do the trick, with the MS2i more for the "rock" side and the HD600 for classical.

....not a recommendation; just an example.
cool.gif

But yup; there are tons of good choice cans available, just gotta start narrowing it down a bit!
biggrin.gif

But isolation is needed. Otherwise I would have recommended MS2 and such.

Possible closed cans:

AKG K 271 S (Balanced sound, but bass is said to be weak)
http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...headphoneId=27

Ultrasone Proline 650 or 750 (warmer or brighter sound, and both has deep strong bass.)

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (Teh bass-headphone! Recessed midrange)

Those are the ones I can think of.

Meier Audio amplifiers are good for the money. And recently Heed CanAmp has gotten rave reviews, and so far hasnt even suffered FOTM (flavor of the month) hang-over, so I guess it really is a damn good amplifier.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But isolation is needed. Otherwise I would have recommended MS2 and such.

Possible closed cans:

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (Teh bass-headphone! Recessed midrange)

Based on music choices, I'd say avoid the bass heavy DT770s. Consider the Audio Technica A900, W1000, or W5000 instead. Haven't heard Ultrasones or the k271 to know how they sound....but the ATs are the only closed headphone I know that can offer some decent detail (excluding uncomfortable studio monitors).

The ATs are also easier to drive....so that leaves you more money for source. If you still have your Quad system....do you have a CD player?? CD players (as well as SACD and vinyl) still offer the best SQ. You may already have a good headphone out in your speaker amp. If not, I recommend the Heed or HeadAmp Gilmore Lite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back