New to the forum, looking to upgrade AKG K550
Dec 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

reset1101

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is my first message in this forum so hi everybody :)

I currently have an AKG K550 + Asus Xonar DG combo in my computer and Im very happy with the quality of the result. But Im looking to upgrade. After doing some research the first option is this one:

Beyerdinamic DT770pro 250ohm + Asus Xonar Essence STX

But Im not sure if those headphones would be a jump big enough from what I have now, even with the Essence STX. So Im asking for your advice. I dont care spending 300€ on headphones if Im going to notice the difference. But before spending like 450€ between everything I have to be sure.

My main use is gaming, films and listening to music, electronic mainly but Im happy with the bass of the AKG K550, I dont need a super huge bass. But I do enjoy the clarity of the sound (specially compared to "gaming" headphones I had in the past) when I listen other types of music. So Im looking for something versatile and with sound quality.

I would prefer if the headphones were closed, as there is a lot of noise in my building and Im afraid that some of it could come in through the headphones if they were open. Or I dont have to be so worried about this? In that case Ive heard good things about the Sennheiser HD600. Would I move those with the Essence STX?

What I do not like are leather pads, my ears sweat like no tomorrow on summer, so Id rather have something different.

I think I dont forget anything. Thanks a lot for your help, you have an amazing forum.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 8
I have gone from the K550 to DT 770 250 Ω, the 770's are very bass heavy compared to AKG. The AKG's are very bright and in your-face the 770's have a more relaxed sound. They are super, super comfortable, but the velour pads don't provide a seal like the pleather padding on the AKGs, so you get more sound leakage and more ambient sound, not a whole lot more, but it's there. The padding is also a lot deeper, at least twice as deep so you could try the leather cups and see if they are more comfortable than the K550's, that would help with sound isolation a bit more if it's a big concern. 

I can't comment on the sound card, personally I use a DAC/amp combo and my Sound Blaster Zx for gaming. The 770's are great for gaming because of the bass and relaxed sound. I can listen to the 770's all day long, I find the K550's a bit tiring after extended use.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 8
  Thanks a lot for your answer. Could you tell me which DAC/amp you use?

Also, are there any notably better closed headphones than the DT 770pro?

Thanks again.

I currently use the iFi Nano iDSD, Schiit Wyrd USB filter and Schiit Lyr 2. The iFi Nano is going, I'm trying to source a Bifrost Uber before Christmas.

As for 'phones, I'm pretty new to all this, so my experience extends just to the K550 & DT 770's. Although I personally am looking at AKG Q701 or K702's in the new year for solely listening to music, I'll keep the 770's for gaming and media for sure.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi !

I own AKG K550, Beyer DT880, Beyer T1 and I very recently acquired the Philips Fidelio X2
I use all of them with a TEAC HA-501, and i used to own a Schiit Asgard also
All I can tell is that the K550 is in my opinion a very good closed headphones, especially when paired with a good quality amp
It's surely not put to shame in comparison with the other headphones I own, even if it's closed
The soundstage is large, as you said the sound is very clear, and it delivers real nice bass with a good amp

Now with open cans you can get a more airy, natural sound, i have to admit it

The recent Philips Fidelio X2 is a real bargain if you look at amazon.it or .es, if you live in Europe
It gives punchy bass, very clear sound...for instance the sound is fuller than with the Beyer DT880

I don't think that outside noise would be a concern with it, but on the other side you must know that such open cans leak a lot of sound, so if you don't want other people in te same room to hear what you're listening too...but excepted this, open headphones surely give the best of the music

I also think that if you want a real upgrade (closed headphones) from the AKG K550, hmmm, you'll have to target something quite expensive

In my opinion, if you tend to look at open headphones finally, the Fidelio X2 with something like a schiit asgard or equivalent could give wonderful results (for a bit less than 500€)

richard

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 8

I currently use the iFi Nano iDSD, Schiit Wyrd USB filter and Schiit Lyr 2. The iFi Nano is going, I'm trying to source a Bifrost Uber before Christmas.

As for 'phones, I'm pretty new to all this, so my experience extends just to the K550 & DT 770's. Although I personally am looking at AKG Q701 or K702's in the new year for solely listening to music, I'll keep the 770's for gaming and media for sure.

Wow, you have some impressive audio equipment :wink: I appreciate your advice but I dont plan on having 2 different headphones, one for gaming and another for music :)

Hi !

I own AKG K550, Beyer DT880, Beyer T1 and I very recently acquired the Philips Fidelio X2
I use all of them with a TEAC HA-501, and i used to own a Schiit Asgard also
All I can tell is that the K550 is in my opinion a very good closed headphones, especially when paired with a good quality amp
It's surely not put to shame in comparison with the other headphones I own, even if it's closed
The soundstage is large, as you said the sound is very clear, and it delivers real nice bass with a good amp

Now with open cans you can get a more airy, natural sound, i have to admit it

The recent Philips Fidelio X2 is a real bargain if you look at amazon.it or .es, if you live in Europe
It gives punchy bass, very clear sound...for instance the sound is fuller than with the Beyer DT880

I don't think that outside noise would be a concern with it, but on the other side you must know that such open cans leak a lot of sound, so if you don't want other people in te same room to hear what you're listening too...but excepted this, open headphones surely give the best of the music

I also think that if you want a real upgrade (closed headphones) from the AKG K550, hmmm, you'll have to target something quite expensive

In my opinion, if you tend to look at open headphones finally, the Fidelio X2 with something like a schiit asgard or equivalent could give wonderful results (for a bit less than 500€)

richard

Thanks a lot for your help Richard. The Philips Fidelio X2 cost 227,26€ on Amazon.es (lucky to be Spaniard for once xD). So, would these headphones with a proper amp make a difference with what I have now? Or I would have to targer something more expensive? Like what?

More questions. I have been trying to finde the Schiit Asgard on Spain/Europe and Im not able to find it. Do you know where I can buy it? Or any similar amp? And where do I plug the amp? Directly to the pc? To my Xonar DG? Would I have to buy the Essence STX anyway?

Sorry for asking so much but Im a total noob xD

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 8
Hi reset,

I forgot to mention the dac actually...

Indeed, from your laptop you need a DAC + an AMP
You can buy either a DAC/AMP combo, or separate units
I use a HRT streamer II+ as a dac, then it goes to my TEAC amp
One main question is... what is your global budget for DAC/AMP/Phones ?
If you tell me, i'll try to give you some advice even if i'm not an audio expert...

note: i have bought my Fidelio X2 on amazon spain since I'm french :wink:

richard

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 8
  Hi reset,

I forgot to mention the dac actually...

Indeed, from your laptop you need a DAC + an AMP
You can buy either a DAC/AMP combo, or separate units
I use a HRT streamer II+ as a dac, then it goes to my TEAC amp
One main question is... what is your global budget for DAC/AMP/Phones ?
If you tell me, i'll try to give you some advice even if i'm not an audio expert...

note: i have bought my Fidelio X2 on amazon spain since I'm french :wink:

richard

Thanks again for your help. Seems we are country-neighbours :) I have a desktop, not a laptop. Id rather have a DAC/AMP combo so I dont have 2000 cables all over the place. Is it better to have them sepparate or it doesnt matter?

I dont have a budget in mind, I just want to know which components would significantly improve what I already have. You could give me an "at least this" option and a "the ideal would be" option to move the Fideo X2. By the way, I still dont know where to plug the DAC/AMP on my pc, or if I would need another sound card for all this or the Xonar DG would be fine.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back