New to the CD3K Family....How much burn-in?
Apr 1, 2004 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cmascatello

500+ Head-Fier
All-

I just got my new CD3000s via UPS today and have begun to give them a brief audition. My main reason for giving them a try was a search for a more aggressive can for my hard rock and metal listening; something that would complement the easier vibe of the HD650. The CD3K was so well regarded in these parts and a few references were made to the Shure E5 (which I love in the metal application) being the CD3K of the canalphone models. I can certainly see what all the fuss is about with the wide soundstage and big bass...

Which leads me to the main question: How much burn-in have the numerous CD3K owners here thrown at the cans before they settled in to their final sound? I remember reading that these did not go through as pronounced a burn-in period as do the HD650s and other higher-impedance cans, but I am guessing there wil lbe some changes over the first 100 or so hours. Any ideas as to what I can expect would be much appreciated.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Mine were used, but I found out the guy had only played them for about 20 hours max he said. I continually burned them for about 40 hours and then evaluated. There was definantly major change! Keep in mind, that I also had a Perreaux (bought from same person) that also benefitted from burn in and also a brand new Zu Pivot which requires burn in of about 250 hours. I would say a good 100-150 hours will fully develope and mature the CD3000 sound. The biggest difference I heard was separation and bass.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 8
I noticed some improvement in bass (tighter and more full) and slightly smoother treble after 72 hours of burn-in (I left it on with my own demo/burn-in CD over the weekend at work). Since I was using fully broken in Headroom Max, I can say in my ears burning in CD3K reduces its initial brightness and bring out the fuller bass. Just let it run at reasonable listening volume using some dynamic music (bass heavy too). Frankly, it wasn't too bad before the burn-in
3000smile.gif
:

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys. They do sound pretty damn good fresh out of the box. I need to get my ears used to closed cans again, but I am not experiencing any buyer's remorse yet. Except when I read the reviews of the UE-10 canalphones (damn that Welly Wu!)...

I popped on some Pantera, Anthrax, and Black Label Society and was definitely liking the wider soundstage and full bass. Looks like a long weekend of burn-in for these guys.
3000smile.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 8
Ahem, *cough*, where does it mention the varying burn-in times for various brands and models. I am well aware of HOW to burn-in my cans and have answered posts in a number of threads describing my experience in the past month with burning in both the HD650 and the Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable. That being said, I wanted particular information pertaining to what to expect from the CD3K WHILE it was burning in and how long the period would be for this particular can. There has been a glut of CD3000 purchases here in the past few months and there is, therefore, a good knowledge base from which I can draw. Sorry if reading 4 posts was a waste of your time....

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 8
I recommend.... 10 minutes in the oven. Should be burned in enough.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back