New to the audiophile game, need advice on my amp/dac!
Sep 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bnicholasboo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys and dolls. I purchased my first amp/dac and want to make sure I do whatever is necessary to get the best quality possible out of what i have. After reviewing many options, I decided to go with a Fiio E07k. For now, I'm plugging (via USB) into a macbook pro, and listening through dt770 Pro 80 ohms or ATH-M50 (just getting started, go easy on me). Most of my music is played through iTunes and was purchased from iTunes. I worry that making use of the E07k in this way is not benefiting me in any way...then again, I really don't know! I'm new to the audiophile world, but have become obsessed, and really want the best outcome with what I have. If there is a way to get better quality music, please tell me! And also, if there is a way to convert my itunes music into better quality, please tell me! And please tell me how to ensure that i get the most out of my E07k. I'll keep working up to better options, but for now, I have what I have and would really love advice. And please, explain in terms that a "newbie" will understand... Elementary, my dear Watson.

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

Go grab a CD or buy some lossless HD media (HDtracks.com, you can sample for free to see). Listen to that before you start changing anything. The heart and soul of higher quality sound is the recording itself. I would start migrating away from iTunes and focus on media that you have control over, like buying CD's and hunting down very well recorded media (digital or not). High bit rate and container matters less, than actually being well recorded in the first place.

That E07k drives your two headphones with plenty of overhead. You're good there. No need to seek anything else. Way better than plugging your headphones directly into the MacPro.

Very best,

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 5
  Hey guys and dolls. I purchased my first amp/dac and want to make sure I do whatever is necessary to get the best quality possible out of what i have. After reviewing many options, I decided to go with a Fiio E07k. For now, I'm plugging (via USB) into a Macbook pro, and listening through dt770 Pro 80 ohms or ATH-M50 (just getting started, go easy on me). Most of my music is played through iTunes and was purchased from iTunes. I worry that making use of the E07k in this way is not benefiting me in any way...then again, I really don't know! I'm new to the audiophile world, but have become obsessed, and really want the best outcome with what I have. If there is a way to get better quality music, please tell me! And also, if there is a way to convert my itunes music into better quality, please tell me! And please tell me how to ensure that i get the most out of my E07k. I'll keep working up to better options, but for now, I have what I have and would really love advice. And please, explain in terms that a "newbie" will understand... Elementary, my dear Watson.

You can't improve your current music files by converting them to a different audio file type, might even downgrade them during conversion.
MalVeaX recommendation is the way to go.
Buy Audio CDs and make new FLAC audio files or download audio files from HDtracks.
Apple's verison of FLAC is ALAC. But I'm assuming Macs can play FLAC audio files.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 5
The only problem with ripping to FLAC is that iTunes won't be able to play them. I may suggest ripping your CDs to .AIFF OR ALAC format so you can play them through iTunes and still have a lossless format. You can always convert those to other formats later (say if you start using other audio players like foobar2000) if you need them but at least you'll have a good base format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back