New to the Audiophile area and about to purchase my first pair
Dec 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

UniversalDreame

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!  I am very new to the realm of Audiophiles and can totally use some advice from you wonderful people.  I am about to by an iPod Nano for when I do my travel photography and need some really nice ear buds that can give me great quality for up to $150.  I have done some research and came across the Klipsch Image S4's & the Sennheiser IE 60's.  Now, I will say that the best pair of ear buds I have ever owned were the Skull Candy's that are like $15-$20.  I loved the bass in them and the audio clarity wasn't too bad (I'm sure some of you would disagree), but it is obvious that I have never really listened to high quality ear buds.  

In terms of the music I listen to, I usually stay around a unique group--Celtic, Old School Hip-Hop, Orchestral, 80's/90's Rock & Trance Techno.  I also want to say that I do get a huge discount on the Klipsch S4's for $30 instead of $100 since I work at a certain retailer for which I cannot name (And pretty sure you all know), so I didn't know if the S4's are worth it there?  I look forward to the answers!!  Thanks so much everyone!!

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 10
No! No Nano! Bad person, bad! In all seriousness though, I would totally grab an old Sanza Fuze and rockbox it (you should be able to find info on it here), as for the IEM's, I'd go for the MEElectronics A151P (Although $30 for the S4 is screwing outstanding).

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm new to this so I'll look up what rockbox is haha.  Is that like an amp?  I have seen on here people suggesting amps for some headphones for better audio quality, but I have always wondered how that worked?  

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 10
  I'm new to this so I'll look up what rockbox is haha.  Is that like an amp?  I have seen on here people suggesting amps for some headphones for better audio quality, but I have always wondered how that worked?  

Without going into detail, the general rule (and there ARE exceptions) is higher Ohm count = better effect from an amp (Eg: Sennheiser HD650 benefits greatly, but Bose AE2 benefits less so, although it still benefits from one; in addition, like headphones, each amp has it's own sound, so if you have a chance to audition more than one, go for it).

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 10
  Without going into detail, the general rule (and there ARE exceptions) is higher Ohm count = better effect from an amp (Eg: Sennheiser HD650 benefits greatly, but Bose AE2 benefits less so, although it still benefits from one; in addition, like headphones, each amp has it's own sound, so if you have a chance to audition more than one, go for it).

Ahhhh ok.  Are there any specific brand amps for a decent price (Under $100)?

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 10

Higher Ohm count has nothing to do with scaling with amps.
Impedance and sensitivity are just measures of efficiency. Don't read into it, besides that some headphones will require an amp to be driven to listenable volumes. 

And amps do not have their own "sound". Yes, they do have an effect, but mostly that's due to psycho-acoustics and the combined synergy with the other components of your setup. There is no actual measurements that explain why some people believe tube amps tend to sound more natural and smooth or why you need to spend 500+ dollars just to drive the HD800s to their potential. 
If anything, your source and DAC plays the ultimate part in determining the signature that comes out of your headphone.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 10
To the Original Poster:

I suggest you purchase a Sansa Clip+ or a Colorfly C3. 
Both are pretty neutral and well-regarded players.
As for iems, I wouldn't go with the Klipsch. The build quality and provided tips are sub-par. Sound lacks clarity and transparency.
As for the Sennheisers, they possess a very colored signature, I found them quite fatiguing and lacking in details. 

You don't need an amp for your budget. Most budget amps end up creating an extra source of interference anyways.

Are you willing to buy used? If you are, there are quite a few bang for the buck iems that used to sell for quite a lot more.
They'll blow away anything you have listed so far.

I personally recommend the Hifiman Re-400s and Ortofon Eq-5, both of which can be found 100-130~ 
Otherwise, check out the IEM review threads by using the Search button. Joker has a comprehensive 300+ iem thread separated by price ranges. There are also tons of budget earphones that meet your criteria.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 10
  To the Original Poster:

I suggest you purchase a Sansa Clip+ or a Colorfly C3. 
Both are pretty neutral and well-regarded players.
As for iems, I wouldn't go with the Klipsch. The build quality and provided tips are sub-par. Sound lacks clarity and transparency.
As for the Sennheisers, they possess a very colored signature, I found them quite fatiguing and lacking in details. 

You don't need an amp for your budget. Most budget amps end up creating an extra source of interference anyways.

Are you willing to buy used? If you are, there are quite a few bang for the buck iems that used to sell for quite a lot more.
They'll blow away anything you have listed so far.

I personally recommend the Hifiman Re-400s and Ortofon Eq-5, both of which can be found 100-130~ 
Otherwise, check out the IEM review threads by using the Search button. Joker has a comprehensive 300+ iem thread separated by price ranges. There are also tons of budget earphones that meet your criteria.

You have been amazing!!  Thank you so much for the reply :D  I'll head over to the review section and check out some of the IEM's there!

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 10
  You have been amazing!!  Thank you so much for the reply :D  I'll head over to the review section and check out some of the IEM's there!

No problem! Happy to help. Send me pm if you're having trouble deciding between earphones. Most likely owned them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back