New to the audio world here.
May 10, 2010 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KjtWicked

New Head-Fier
I've done some basic searches, but I don't think I looked for the right stuff. I honestly don't know what I'm looking for. The results were abundant and overwhelming, so I'm going to tell my story here, and if you can offer any help, that would be phenomenal.

I spend a lot of time on my computer, it's a custom built rig, I had a sound card in there at one point, but when I got my new GFX cards, I SLI'd them and took the sound card out. I've since lost said card, but at this moment I'm using Logitech G35s, which are USB. They sound amazing, but since I'm new to the audio world, I don't have anything to compare them to. I have Sony NC60s, which I returned a set of Bose for. Comparatively, I like the Logi's better, they sound crisper, they have higher highs, and tremendous bass that isn't overwhelming.

I do have a budget of about 200$ for everything. I listen to mp3s, and some internet streaming. I use winamp, with the DFX equalizer plug in that I paid for, but it's not all that wonderful anymore. I prefer trance, drum and bass, other things that go bump. I listen to Digital music only, I hardly ever use physical media.

I'm looking for the best advice for cards, new equalizer software, new headphones, or any general knowledge on how I can improve my current setup.

I'm running the following in my machine

XFX 680i Sli Mobo
8gb Ram
9800GTX Sli'd
Q6600 CPU
3TB~ HDD Space

Windows 7, 64 Bit.

It was built for gaming, and I've recently moved to console gaming. My mobo has multiple sound outputs/inputs, I've never used any of them but the standard headphone one.

Help, or point me in the right direction!

May 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Software is pretty subjective, I use MediaMonkey and a lot of people like Foobar.  What's going to may make the most difference right now is getting a soundcard or USB DAC in that chain.

For $200 total, you might be a little restricted from going too crazy.  I'd lean toward saying spend as much as you feel you can on the source side, and then look on the forum for headphones that fit your price range and needs.  For instance, the NuForce uDAC was pretty popular, and the ATH-M50 has a lot of supporters,  If you can get a good deal on the ATH-A700 (like around $100), I only paid $90 or so for a refurb Forte soundcard (which has a built-in amp).

Then when upgraditis sets in, hook up a desktop amp and happily ride the head-fi train to oblivion with new headphones and everything else.

Welcome to head-fi.  Sorry about your wallet.

May 11, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, i do work under Bestbuy, So I get a pretty spectacular discount, so I'm going to try and get whatever I can with that. For instance, the hd650's by sennheiser are a mere 209$ after my employee discount. I'll look into cards as well. What are some feelings on the Xfi Titanium? I've read other threads, and they are really mixed. I'm going to look through the pages tomorrow and see if i have any local audio places to see what they have going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back