New to the audio game, what headphones for under $200 for movies mainly and gaming second?
Feb 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

woodyfly

New Head-Fier
Never had a good pair of headphones in my life, looking to try something new. Will be using it mainly for movies and some gaming. I was considering the hd598, any recommendations?

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 18
The hd 598 are a very all round choice. The hd 558 (in my opinion) is better for movies and games. The akg k550 are the best soundstage for gaming in a closed back can although they are massive on the head and small head uses complain about its seal. I personally have not used the akg k702 because I don't have a very powerful amp but they're apparently amazing for gaming if you have a decent amp. I also recommend the beyerdynamic dt990 pro. I tried them in the shop and they're great. Get back to me on whether you have an amp and also what your budget is an ill try and help more 
happy_face1.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 18
The HD598 is a fine choice. They are "open" headphones, which means that they let outside noise in and leak their sound out to other people sitting near you. Is that a problem for your planned use? If it is, the you will want "closed" headphones, like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 18
Open headphones also give a better sound stage. This is the instrument separation and were they are coming from. I don't like the ath m50x as they're bassy have No sound stage and sound overall very artificial sounding in they're highs and they're mids are almost non existent. You either like how they sound or don't. here in the UK they're £120 and their are things way better like the akg k550 for £99. What's your budget and do you want open headphones?

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 18
  The hd 598 are a very all round choice. The hd 558 (in my opinion) is better for movies and games. The akg k550 are the best soundstage for gaming in a closed back can although they are massive on the head and small head uses complain about its seal. I personally have not used the akg k702 because I don't have a very powerful amp but they're apparently amazing for gaming if you have a decent amp. I also recommend the beyerdynamic dt990 pro. I tried them in the shop and they're great. Get back to me on whether you have an amp and also what your budget is an ill try and help more 
happy_face1.gif

I use a sound card, the xonar DG. It's pretty cheap but it has a headphone amp. Hopefully that will suffice. I'm not looking to spend anymore on an amp right now

Quote:
The HD598 is a fine choice. They are "open" headphones, which means that they let outside noise in and leak their sound out to other people sitting near you. Is that a problem for your planned use? If it is, the you will want "closed" headphones, like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X.

Absolutely no problem. I use them at home. 

Open headphones also give a better sound stage. This is the instrument separation and were they are coming from. I don't like the ath m50x as they're bassy have No sound stage and sound overall very artificial sounding in they're highs and they're mids are almost non existent. You either like how they sound or don't. here in the UK they're £120 and their are things way better like the akg k550 for £99. What's your budget and do you want open headphones?

Honestly, I don't even know what I need. I've been using trash headphones for 10 years of gaming (haha) so I don't even know what good open headphones or closed ones sound like when compared to each other. I'd like the sound to feel as immersive as possible since I'm mostly gonna be watching movies and gaming. I'm guessing open headphones would do that better? 

As for budget right now I'm leaning towards $150. Both the hd598 and dtpro990 are around ~150 for me.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 18
The hd 598 and dt 990 are both very immersive as they are open and give a sense if space. The dt 990 have base to the explosions in games/movies will be boomy but not over emphasised. Everything else about these headphones are great. The clear vocals and amazing sound stage i can hear were people are shooting me from in game. Plus build quality and comfort is amazing.  I've never had the 598 so cant say if they are a good choice sorry. I know the 558 are good for movies and amazing in games to hear the detail and hear the bullets like they re really whizzing past your face. The 598 from what I hear have a more refined base have a better sound stage and are better build quality. The akg k550 are my favourite closed headphone. I love the soundstage for gaming and they sound amazing in movies as well. plus when they first came out they were close to £300 so the price now is a steal!

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 18
  The hd 598 and dt 990 are both very immersive as they are open and give a sense if space. The dt 990 have base to the explosions in games/movies will be boomy but not over emphasised. Everything else about these headphones are great. The clear vocals and amazing sound stage i can hear were people are shooting me from in game. Plus build quality and comfort is amazing.  I've never had the 598 so cant say if they are a good choice sorry. I know the 558 are good for movies and amazing in games to hear the detail and hear the bullets like they re really whizzing past your face. The 598 from what I hear have a more refined base have a better sound stage and are better build quality. The akg k550 are my favourite closed headphone. I love the soundstage for gaming and they sound amazing in movies as well. plus when they first came out they were close to £300 so the price now is a steal!

I think I might be leaning more towards the dt990 now because of the bass. I do watch a lot of action/adventure movies and whatever music I listen to is upbeat stuff; hip-hop, funk, soul. However my concern is that I will probably need an amp and I'm not sure if my sound card will be enough

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 18
The dt990 pro would be okay out of your xonar dg, but you still may want to upgrade your amp later down the line. One thing to keep in mind, the DT990 does have recessed mids, so voices are distant and in general do not sound natural. The bass definitely helps with explosions in games and movies, but the hd598 is better for picking out footsteps in a FPS. You are not going to go wrong with either.  

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 18
DT990 are amazing for gaming. I mean you could go for some AKG with bigger soundstage and more neutral sound but they will have less bass and prob also needs more juice to run.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 18
How much sound does leak out of open back headhpones? I mean, would it bother someone trying to sleep in the next room over?

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 18
After doing some research and reading for the day, I almost went with the 598 but then decided on the dt990 pro. From what I gathered, it gives a better 'theatre' sound and that's what I'm looking for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back