New to Stax system- a couple of questions
Aug 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry if these questions have been answered else where but I have browsed the forum and cant find the exact answers, so please bear with me.

I'm in the process of purchasing from a friend a Stax system comprising SR007 phones and SRM007T amp. After many, many years of listening with dynamic phones it has taken a few days to adjust and really appreciate the sound I'm hearing with the Stax setup. I'm very lucky that the combo is had very little use and is in as new condition.

Now for the questions.
1/ Is there a generally accepted correct position to have the flat face on the ear piece aligned to. Having the flat to the front seems to give me more bass but brings my ears very close to the grill.

2/ I'm unsure what tubes are in the amp at this stage but would imagine they've never been biased.  Is there a simple(and I mean simple) guide to doing this that a total dummy like myself can carry out, I do have a good digital meter , electrical screw drivers and an extremely healhy respect for electricty.  Even if I cant do it myself an there is a tech who repairs valve gear in my town who I could get to carry it out. I dont want to have to send the amp 360 miles to the NZ Stax importer every time I want to check the bias.

Is it necessary to remove the top cover to check the bias or can it be done externally.

3/ Is it necessary to have the phones plugged in the check the bias? If I have to send it else where to be done it would be better if I didn't have to send the phones as well.

Thanks for your time.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Sorry if these questions have been answered else where but I have browsed the forum and cant find the exact answers, so please bear with me.

I'm in the process of purchasing from a friend a Stax system comprising SR007 phones and SRM007T amp. After many, many years of listening with dynamic phones it has taken a few days to adjust and really appreciate the sound I'm hearing with the Stax setup. I'm very lucky that the combo is had very little use and is in as new condition.

Now for the questions.
1/ Is there a generally accepted correct position to have the flat face on the ear piece aligned to. Having the flat to the front seems to give me more bass but brings my ears very close to the grill.

2/ I'm unsure what tubes are in the amp at this stage but would imagine they've never been biased.  Is there a simple(and I mean simple) guide to doing this that a total dummy like myself can carry out, I do have a good digital meter , electrical screw drivers and an extremely healhy respect for electricty.  Even if I cant do it myself an there is a tech who repairs valve gear in my town who I could get to carry it out. I dont want to have to send the amp 360 miles to the NZ Stax importer every time I want to check the bias.

Is it necessary to remove the top cover to check the bias or can it be done externally.

3/ Is it necessary to have the phones plugged in the check the bias? If I have to send it else where to be done it would be better if I didn't have to send the phones as well.

Thanks for your time.

Haere!

Are you running the 007Mk1 or Mk2( also called 007A?).

If it's the A I would first say adjust to your own preference.  That's all my rudimentary Stax manual said.  

However, the flat section is thicker than the rest of the pad and in my opinion should be slightly behind and below the ear, because my head (and I suspect most peoples')  gets narrower there.  This gives me a better seal.  This puts the sewed ridge at about eye level.  You may also need to bend the metal arcs to get an even pressure.

I am less familiar with the Mk1.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:

Haere!

Are you running the 007Mk1 or Mk2( also called 007A?).

If it's the A I would first say adjust to your own preference.  That's all my rudimentary Stax manual said.  

However, the flat section is thicker than the rest of the pad and in my opinion should be slightly behind and below the ear, because my head (and I suspect most peoples')  gets narrower there.  This gives me a better seal.  This puts the sewed ridge at about eye level.  You may also need to bend the metal arcs to get an even pressure.

I am less familiar with the Mk1.

Mk1 I suspect. The headphone manual is rudimentary but printed on quality paper :)

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 4
No matter- decided to pass on the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back