New to Recabling
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

w4ffl35

Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm currently using a pair of ATH-A900s that I've had for two years now. Lately (past month or so) the sound in the right channel has been cutting out or becoming static-y. I can fix this by jiggling the wire that comes out of the headphones but some times its frustrating to have to move around to find a position the wire with stay still in. I've heard that recabling might fix this, but I don't know the first thing about recabling.

I've looked for guides/threads on recabling specifically the ATH-A900s but I've had no luck.

Any detailed guides on this subject anyone could link me? I'd rather not mess up and break my headphones, because even if its a pain, they still work for the most part.

If this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry my search showed several recabling threads in this section.

Thanks

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 10
It sounds like one of the solder joint has been broken off.

You will need these to fix it :

Solder kit
A screw driver of the right type(if required)

Once you open up the headphone, look for a silver(not litteraly) solder joint and see if it's broken.
If it's not broken, then you will need to buy another set of cables and replace it properly.

Also, if you do not have a solder kit and don't want to buy it, then you should be able to take your headphone to any local electronics repair store, or maybe certain computer stores (but no futureshop or any of its bretherins), and ask them for a quick repair for a small fee.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
James

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Probably similar to this;
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/tak...phones-415463/

Good luck! It's not too hard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 10
There is no standard way, and you should be aware that by taking your headphones apart you null your warranty. (Speaking of which, do you still have warranty on your pair?)

For the method of taking ATH-A900 apart, I cannot give you any advices since I never owned a pair myself. Maybe others on this forum can help you?

Cheers,
James

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by w4ffl35 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I probably don't have a warranty, as I bought these used from another user on this site.

Ahh I see.
I had similiar experience with my 2nd handed Samsung P2 mp3 player, the solder joint inside the device had broken off and I could only hear from one side.
I opened up the player and did a quick solder, and now it works beautifully.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 10
I probably can help if what I said on the other thread doesn't completely help you. PM me when you need it.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 10
They won't snap. You have to wrap the lip around the cup if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back