[New to PC audio] Help with 2.1 speaker setup.
Jun 21, 2014 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

NinjaMilez

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I'm building a PC next January and I'd like to have an audio setup that is adequate for my needs.

I care about audio but not to the same extent as the average Head-Fi user.

I already have headphones that I'm happy with. V-Moda Crossfade LPs.

I need positional audio. For that I am probably going to get the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR. I might be doing some very light non-professional recording so that's why I went for that over the Zx or the Z models. I chose a Creative card over an ASUS one since the positional audio is apparently superior in their cards.

For speakers I'd like a 2.1 setup, but not a combo set. I'd like to buy the subwoofer and speakers separately since then I'm able to get better quality audio, unless there's already a good 2.1 speaker system that fills my budget.

Preferably, I'd like to keep the whole thing simple. i.e. ZxR RCA out to subwoofer and then satillite speakers via subwoofer RCA out.

For speakers and a sub my budget is £300/$500.

Sorry if I've missed stuff, it's late in the UK and I'm tired.

TL;DR Recommend me a pair of satellite speakers and a subwoofer for my PC under £300/$500.

EDIT: Do I need an amplifier for the subwoofer or is the ZxR enough to power it?

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 17
  Okay, so I'm building a PC next January and I'd like to have an audio setup that is adequate for my needs.
I care about audio but not to the same extent as the average Head-Fi user.
I already have headphones that I'm happy with. V-Moda Crossfade LPs.
I need positional audio. For that I am probably going to get the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR. I might be doing some very light non-professional recording so that's why I went for that over the Zx or the Z models. I chose a Creative card over an ASUS one since the positional audio is apparently superior in their cards.
For speakers I'd like a 2.1 setup, but not a combo set. I'd like to buy the sub-woofer and speakers separately since then I'm able to get better quality audio, unless there's already a good 2.1 speaker system that fills my budget.
Preferably, I'd like to keep the whole thing simple. i.e. ZxR RCA out to sub-woofer and then satellite speakers via sub-woofer RCA out.
For speakers and a sub my budget is £300/$500.
Sorry if I've missed stuff, it's late in the UK and I'm tired.
TL;DR Recommend me a pair of satellite speakers and a sub-woofer for my PC under £300/$500.
EDIT: Do I need an amplifier for the sub-woofer or is the ZxR enough to power it?

Sound card do not come with a 2.1 speaker setting, usually the 2.0 setting is used and something external separates the signal feed to the sub-woofer.

Some sub-woofers are designed to take in the 2.0 signal and create a separate feed for itself then passes along the signal to the speakers (2.0).
Usually these sub-woofer are low cost "bottom end" sub-woofers.

Personally I would buy a low cost used receiver (100 GBP?) that comes with a separate dedicated sub-woofer output.
Then you have a lot of options for just about any sub-woofer made, maybe get a good deal "quality" but older used one.
Not sure what to recommend on speakers, we may not carry the same brands, over here in the American colonies.

You might consider going with the cheaper Sound Blaster Z, leaving more of the budget for the speakers/subwoofer/receiver.
The speakers Wharfedale Diamond series seem to be recommended some, as good bang for the buck, in the UK.
A simple stereo amplifier, in place of a receiver, with the sub-woofer output, might also do the job.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 17
for your budget id say go with an aego m and save the rest for a later upgrade.  £300 to get amp, speakers and a sub means youll be means youll be aiming v cheap for each.

so id say get the aego m just now and you can both save up and learn about what you want to roplace it with eventually.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for the explanations regarding sub-woofers and sound cards.

I was actually looking at the Wharfedale Diamond series, and also some Dali speakers since they're a UK based company.

Down-grading to the Sound Blaster Z looks like my best option to save money for a receiver. 

Thanks for the reply, I'll start looking into some receivers now.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 17
  for your budget id say go with an aego m and save the rest for a later upgrade.  £300 to get amp, speakers and a sub means youll be means youll be aiming v cheap for each.

so id say get the aego m just now and you can both save up and learn about what you want to roplace it with eventually.

Okay,

By the sounds of it I need to save up some extra cash if I want a decent low-end setup.

I'll look into the Aego M. 

Thanks for the reply.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 17
A decent 2.1 for £300 can easily be done.

active speakers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microlab-SOLO9C-140W-TOSLINK-CO-AX/dp/B00HR1AWVC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1403438749&sr=8-7&keywords=microlab

or smaller speakers http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R1280T-Wired-Active/dp/B00GBN50SC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1403439011&sr=8-8&keywords=edifier ,

sub: http://www.electromarket.co.uk/bba0258

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 17
In-depth review of the microlabs mainly object: http://www.ixbt.com/multimedia/microlab-solo7.shtml (needs to be translated to english)

In-depth review of the edifiers object and subjective: http://www.tomshardware.de/edifier-r1280t-review-test-pc-audio,testberichte-241528.html (also needs to be translated)

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Some sub-woofers are designed to take in the 2.0 signal and create a separate feed for itself then passes along the signal to the speakers (2.0).
Usually these sub-woofer are low cost "bottom end" sub-woofers.

Actually, I know of some enthusiast class home audio subwoofers and then some pro audio subwoofers that do that, and it's much less common among budget subwoofers. For example the SVS SB-1000 and Adam Sub-8.

The problem is that your budget really doesn't work well for those options, especially given UK prices.

I do think that PurpleAngel's suggestion to go with a receiver might be the best options if you can find an AVR at a cheap enough price. Then get the subwoofer on down the road when you can save up for it separately. Wharfedale Diamonds and Dali speakers would be an excellent choice, and your best bet for passive speakers will be the brands manufactured in the UK. You might also have some luck finding a good deal on used B&W 601s. They are very good sounding speakers.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 17
Actually, I know of some enthusiast class home audio sub-woofers and then some pro audio subwoofers that do that, and it's much less common among budget subwoofers. For example the SVS SB-1000 and Adam Sub-8.

Wow, I always assumed it was only low end sub-woofers that did the speaker pass thru.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 17
Wow, I always assumed it was only low end sub-woofers that did the speaker pass thru.

My bad. Yeah. Budget subwoofers will oven do the speaker level pass through, but not the line level pass through (sorry, I thought that's what you meant). The line level pass through is nice on those because they have a high pass filter with the line out, so you can crossover the speakers a little higher than setting your sub to where the speakers roll off. Really good option for computer setups where one is not using an AVR with bass management. I think most of them have the high pass set at around 80hz (although I have seen Velodynes with higher).

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 17
ruarks mr'1s for £299 they sound fantastic and the bass is enough for smaller rooms and if its not enough it has a sub output if you wish to add one later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzO79j5mr3M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back