New to mp3 and could use some help...
May 21, 2009 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nobodyimportant

New Head-Fier
Just bought my first mp3 player and am trying to use Windows Media Player to load it. I've had some success, but I find MP a little confusing. My question is this: Is there a "good" tutorial on the web? I've found several but none seem very helpful. Thank you.

May 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 18
Sorry, I can't explain WMP 'cause I don't understand it either. It's another one of those stupid programs that want to do things it's way instead of letting me do thing my way.

I avoid it by setting my players to MSC mode and that lets me simply drag and drop files to the player through windows explorer.

What MP3 player do you have? maybe there's an easier alternative.

May 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 18
Yes, which player!! We MUST know.

popcorn.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi. Soon you will have spent way too much money and spent way too much time here...if all goes well.
icon10.gif

For my iPods I like to use iTunes although other programs will sync them...like Media Monkey which I've used.

For every other brand I use MM. Any program will take some time to learn...I've never thought much of WMP. As mentioned, you could just drag & drop which I do sometimes since I organize my music into playlist folders on a hard drive.

May 22, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 18
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

As mentioned, more information is needed. Especially which brand/model MP3 player you have..

May 22, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 18
You're better off using a different program such as Winamp or MediaMonkey. They all come with decent help files so that would be the first place to look. I use Winamp for everything and it works fantastically.

And, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about that wallet
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 18
I'm sorry. I didn't know that you would need to know what player I have. I bought a Sansa Fuze. Thanks much for the information. I think I'll look at the idea of dragging and dropping with windows explorer first. More response that I would have dreamed. You're a bunch of good guys!

May 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 18
I agree with Earwax. MSC is a much more straightforward way to get your music loaded into your player. But when I had Creative players, which only supported MTP, I used MediaMonkey for this task with no problems. Since the Sansa Fuze supports both transfer methods, you have the freedom of experimenting and finding which one suits you better.
wink.gif

May 24, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 18
I tried the drag and drop with explorer and it worked great. I like the simplicity of it. I had read the Sansa info and they had me believing that I had to use MP. Thanks again for the tips.

On a different subject. Im I correct in thinking that if I want to upgrade in the future to a player with about 100gb or better, that my only real choice is an Ipod? I have a lot more music than the 16gb Fuze will hold.

May 24, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyimportant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the drag and drop with explorer and it worked great. I like the simplicity of it. I had read the Sansa info and they had me believing that I had to use MP. Thanks again for the tips.

On a different subject. Im I correct in thinking that if I want to upgrade in the future to a player with about 100gb or better, that my only real choice is an Ipod? I have a lot more music than the 16gb Fuze will hold.

The Zune comes in a 120GB capacity, but the 32GB Sandisk micro sdhc card is due out very soon, so you could gain an extra 24GB capacity on your Fuze if you can wait for that.

Also, here's a Fuze appreciation thread which you might find very helpful
smile_phones.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/wo...07/index4.html

May 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 18
no not jyst ipod, but IMO its still the best option; you can also get Zune, which has up to 120gb I believe. but if you dont want to be locked into a library function; I would stick with an upgraded ipod video. get an 80gb used and upgrade the HD to 120 or even 240gb. then use Rockbox firmware on it; which is an alternative OS for the ipod software. suplies more features than the apple firmware and has better sound quality too.

re: the response you got. hehe yeah we sure are a helpful bunch of people when we find fresh meat. we'll have you lining up for food-stamps while listening to UE11 in no-time
evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

no not jyst ipod, but IMO its still the best option; you can also get Zune, which has up to 120gb I believe. but if you dont want to be locked into a library function; I would stick with an upgraded ipod video. get an 80gb used and upgrade the HD to 120 or even 240gb. then use Rockbox firmware on it; which is an alternative OS for the ipod software. suplies more features than the apple firmware and has better sound quality too.

If you love to tinker, thats good advice.

even if you picked up a used 80g ipod video or a 120g Classit and leave it alone, you'll still be happy (until you price all those ipod accessories in Best Buy).

These guys are totally right on the money.

it starts out so innocently with a small sandisk player.

The next thing you know, you're trying to justify a thousand dollars for headphones to your wife...

May 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 18
Again, thanks to everyone for all the good advice and ideas. I did a search and it looks like the 32gb slot card is out. They run about $100. I wonder if the money would be better spent buying the $100 card or putting that money toward a larger capacity player.? I like the sound of the Fuze very much, and it's compact size. The classic ipod is much larger and I have no idea how it sounds in comparison. I see how this forum got so big. It's all not as simple as it first appears. Decisions, decisions!

May 25, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadly55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just get like 2 16 gig mircosd cards for the fuze.

That's one idea. I already have an 8gb card installed so I'ed gain 8 more. What I think I'll do is just use the internal memory for my favorites and put everything else into computer files of about 7.5 gb, then I'll just move those files in and out of the card ever so often. Seems like a plan till the 32gb chip drops in price. See any flaw in my thinking? Thanks for the interest.

I discovered "thepiratebay.com" and have downloaded several albums with no problem. I was wondering what any of you think of this. I keep thinking there might be something I don't know. I checked the files for viruses, malware etc., they were clean. All that free music just seems to good to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back