New (to me) 20GB iPod!!!
Aug 8, 2003 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Finally! Been working on my wife to get an iPod for the past year. My bro-in-law is updating his 20GB to a new 30GB and will be passing along his old one to me for a modest sum.

Ohboyohboyohboy!!! iPod + Etys =
biggrin.gif

Wahoo!

But, I'm a total newb... have never "ripped" before. Please forgive the newbie questions.

The device I'll be getting is a Mac version. Unfortunately, I'm working in a Windoze world (at least I have Firewire). Have been reading a bit on the different options for Windows users. Would appreciate some feedback from folks about suggestions for software. It seems that the options are... anything but Musicamatch!

ephpod: Seems as though I'll need to reformat the drive. Would be too bad since the drive is loaded with many songs/artists that I like.

Xplay: Modest cost, but allows you to use existing files without re-ripping.

Other options?

ID3 tagging tool recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Aug 8, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Wow...congrat man. I love my iPod. 20 GB is definitely nice!

Aug 8, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey Bruce, Xplay would be your only option I believe if you don't want to reformat the drive for Windows. They still have software, I believe, to connect a "Mac" Ipod to a Windows machine.

Aug 9, 2003 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 7
Question:

Is there any (relatively easy) way to transfer the existing files onto my hard drive, THEN reformat the iPod drive, and import the original mp3s?

Just typing this sounds like wishful thinking... Well if it's $30 for Xplay vs a couple weekends ripping, think I'll go with Xplay!

Thanks!
Bruce

Aug 9, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 7
If I were you Bruce, I'd get the software to transfer the files from your Ipod to your computer, then I'd reformat it for Windows and put the files back on. Once you reformat the drive, all the files on it are erased.

Aug 10, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Aug 11, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Pardon my ignorance... but what software would I use to transfer the files off the iPod onto my Winbox?

Thanks!

All this is anticipatory... the device has not yet been delivered. Grr...

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back