New to it all
Mar 23, 2005 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Acrimonity

New Head-Fier
Hey, brand-spanking new to this forum. So I'm sort of looking to break into the budding audiophile scene, but have not endless funds. Currently, I have Senn HD497's and I've enjoyed them greatly for about a year. I'd like to go to something more primo, but my setup isn't ideal. I mostly listen to cd's played through my laptop and i got an Echo Indigo external sound card as an upgrade over the base card. I should mention it has a built-in headphone amp, though I have no idea what kind of quality it is. So: I've been looking at something like the Grado 125/80 or possibly something in the Senn 500 series, just from what I've read of reviews. I listen to a lot of classic rock, country, reggae. Any suggestions on headphones or other essentials are very welcome.

Mar 23, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrimonity
Hey, brand-spanking new to this forum. So I'm sort of looking to break into the budding audiophile scene, but have not endless funds. Currently, I have Senn HD497's and I've enjoyed them greatly for about a year. I'd like to go to something more primo, but my setup isn't ideal. I mostly listen to cd's played through my laptop and i got an Echo Indigo external sound card as an upgrade over the base card. I should mention it has a built-in headphone amp, though I have no idea what kind of quality it is. So: I've been looking at something like the Grado 125/80 or possibly something in the Senn 500 series, just from what I've read of reviews. I listen to a lot of classic rock, country, reggae. Any suggestions on headphones or other essentials are very welcome.

If money won't be an issue in the future, you could start off with the Grado SR60's just to get a taste of the Grado sound.

Mar 23, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 11
Wish I could steer you away from this site as it will get into your system not to mention your bank account but it's a great place to satisfy your passions for audio.

Given your taste in music, I think the Grado line may just be what you're looking for. I'd go with the SR-60's to start. If you like the sound, a move up to the 225's would likely hit your sweet spot.

Given that this is your first post, I can't help but share this mental picture I have of you in a scene from the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy is looking down at the yellow brick road and beginning with that very first step. You have no idea where this road will take you....unless you've got a heckuva lot more will power than most(myself? I have none, nada, zip). Good luck and enjoy the journey. Lot of good folks here but watch the hockey fans. They're an unruly bunch that can't be trusted. Full of empty promises they are!
icon10.gif

edit: btw, Commando's site is great. Give it a look!

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Given that this is your first post, I can't help but share this mental picture I have of you in a scene from the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy is looking down at the yellow brick road and beginning with that very first step.

Perfectly put!

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but Ken's advice of staying away from here is really not a bad idea if you can't control your wallet.

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 11
i can vouch for the a900's they are kickass
icon10.gif

i can also vouch for the comment about your wallet. this place is like crack, only more expensive. since ive joined ive purchesed an a900, shure e2c and made several cmoys now
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 11
Heed the sage advice above, Acrimonity (about staying away, not about any of the recommended headphones).

I'm a total noob who's been lurking around Head-Fi for some time now (a month? two? I've lost track). All I wanted when I found this forum was a decent portable headphone to go with my new mp3 player (the earbuds that came with it were crappy).

Anyway, yesterday was the first day since probably early February that I DIDN'T log on to Head-Fi, and that's only because I was having too much fun with my new Minimax CD player -- the one that I bought after reading about it here. In fact, almost everything in my sig below has been purchased in the past six weeks.

You see where this is going so I won't belabor the point. As jerb said, Head-Fi is like crack. He ain't lyin'.

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 11
You gotta get some of that Grado flavor. The 60s are good for the budget, the 225s are great all around, and the 325i's are the last cans you'll buy before you'll start seriously considering dropping a load of cash on the RS1s.

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 11
So you have the HD497...
Be aware that it's a hard to beat headphone near its price tag. With, say, a Grado SR60 you won't be better off, it'll rather be something different.
You should look at something of the likes of Grado SR225 / Alessandro MS-1 or MS-2, and 'naturally' the Sennheiser HD595 / HD580, for a really worthy step up. Good luck !

Edit: Seeing your musical tastes, i'd personally lean towards the Senns...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back