New to IEMs, where to start?
Sep 9, 2017 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

TimeSnow

500+ Head-Fier
I have 200 for a pair, would be with my phone and a Dragonfly Red/Oppo HA-2.

I would prefer fun, and need sub bass for pop and soundtracks/classical, but not a hip hop head or anything.

Would be for the bus and walking the dog, so nothing that falls out endlessly.

Doesn't have to be rechargable/wireless/bluetooth... I'd rather spend the money on sound quality than any fancy wireless tech.

I'm in Europe, so Massdrop is out...

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 39
Welcome,

If you are looking for more bass there are a few recommendations on top of my head are westone w60 and ultimate triple for 10. Few others I know of are JVC HA1XFX1 and Audio Technica CKS1000

With more information like budget and type of monitors (universal or custom/BA or dynamic or hybrid) more recommendations to from the other forum members will chime in.

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 39
I have the w60 and i would not recommend them enough, great sound, clarity and good amount of bass. It all depends on your budget as well

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 39
Welcome,

If you are looking for more bass there are a few recommendations on top of my head are westone w60 and ultimate triple for 10. Few others I know of are JVC HA1XFX1 and Audio Technica CKS1000

With more information like budget and type of monitors (universal or custom/BA or dynamic or hybrid) more recommendations to from the other forum members will chime in.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any real idea what I'm looking for, as I've literally never owned or used a pair of IEMs.

I love my HD650s, but my fave cans of all time would probably be either the LCD 3, or the vintage Grados my uncle had.

But with modern pop, which I make for a living, and soundtrack music, which I also make for a living, lol, I need deep extension. I don't want fake bass, but deep bass that doesn't distort or sound mushy or atonal.

Oh and the budget is about 200 euro. I am selling a second Dragonfly Red that I got as a gift, and will roll that money into my first set of IEMs.

Thanks again!

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 39
I have the w60 and i would not recommend them enough, great sound, clarity and good amount of bass. It all depends on your budget as well

Whoa! Those are out of my price range... Well.. I don't even know if I'll be able to deal with IEMs... So I'm gonna start slow AND THEN go overboard.

:wink:

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 39
Well if you want to start slow and just see how well you like the idea you can try something like the KZ ZST. Detachable cable hybrids, and pretty cheap.

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 39
Whoa! Those are out of my price range... Well.. I don't even know if I'll be able to deal with IEMs... So I'm gonna start slow AND THEN go overboard.

:wink:

If you want start slow I will suggest starting with universal IEMs which might benefit you in terms of budget which are quite a few out there like 1More IEM which is a triple driver hybrid design and the new VSonic GR07's and the Vsonics also have a classic and a bass version. Once you have found the universal IEM of choice and budget you can get your feet wet in the custom world by get custom tips for the IEM. This way you will at least have an idea whether you want to upgrade to complete customs in the future.

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 39
If you want start slow I will suggest starting with universal IEMs which might benefit you in terms of budget which are quite a few out there like 1More IEM which is a triple driver hybrid design and the new VSonic GR07's and the Vsonics also have a classic and a bass version. Once you have found the universal IEM of choice and budget you can get your feet wet in the custom world by get custom tips for the IEM. This way you will at least have an idea whether you want to upgrade to complete customs in the future.

This is really good advice. Thank you very much.

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 39
Well if you want to start slow and just see how well you like the idea you can try something like the KZ ZST. Detachable cable hybrids, and pretty cheap.

I heard about them and I was going get their quad driver version but I saw quite a bit of polarizing reviews on it and opted out. I think you can find a review by someone called soulsik and he reviewed it which didn't paint a pretty picture.

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 39
LZ A4. You can effectively tailor the sound to your needs but the black and red back filters offer gobs of great deep bass. The front filters will allow you to contour the mids and treble anywhere from flat to V- shaped. Stock cable is excellent but mmcx connectors mean plenty of aftermarket options. Designed to be worn down or up for more secure fit. Right in your price range and arguably best in that class.

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 39
I heard about them and I was going get their quad driver version but I saw quite a bit of polarizing reviews on it and opted out. I think you can find a review by someone called soulsik and he reviewed it which didn't paint a pretty picture.
I actually just saw how cheap they are and ordered a pair. Sure, nothing ventured, etc.

I will still be trying to find a nice pair though!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back