New to IEM's - Suggestions Welcome!
Jul 18, 2023 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jdk6069

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been in the hifi game for some time now, but never got into IEM's. I've had the itch for the IEM's now and want to see what it's about.

Budget: $275
Preferences: Soundstage and Imaging
Uses: Music (I listen to everything really), Gaming (FPS, competitive), Travel
Gear Currently: HD600, HD700, HD800S, DT1990Pro, Fiio K9 (not pro), and THX AAA 789

Any suggestions would be WONDERFUL and welcomed. There is a lot to learn about IEM's!!!!!

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the Seeaudio Yume II and the soundstage is great for gaming, really expansive. Good imaging too. Mids have a slight recess to them, but any music player EQ can bump it up. For gaming they are superior, would take them over any closed back headphone.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Something Harman tuned like the Tanchjim Oxygen is probably a good way to start.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Hello!

I've been in the hifi game for some time now, but never got into IEM's. I've had the itch for the IEM's now and want to see what it's about.

Gear Currently: HD600, HD700, HD800S, DT1990Pro, Fiio K9 (not pro), and THX AAA 789

Any suggestions would be WONDERFUL and welcomed. There is a lot to learn about IEM's!!!!!

Thanks!

DUNU Falcon Ultra

Wrote a first impressions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dun...s-master-thread.961127/page-140#post-17648372

It beats the venerable Tanchjim Oxygen in imaging, soundstage, layering and instrument separation.

Has 2 tuning options so it is quite versatile. Great timbre and packaging.

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello!

Thanks!

Oh and one more thing, do bear in mind that IEMs are a very different transducer from headphones.

Generally headphones will give superior soundstage, and most IEMs sounds "in your head" coming from headphones. But IEMs are generally more portable (most do not require robust desktop level amplification), and they generally have a better seal (and hence isolation and sub-bass), when compared to open backed headphones.

If you want a very very technical IEM at below $200, the Geekwold GK100 is a neutral bright IEM that has superb micro-detailing and imaging. Though it is a bit sterile sounding and isn't too musical.

But the aforementioned DUNU Falcon Ultra is one of my favourites in melding technicalities and musicality, plus it is quite versatile cause of two tuning switches.

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 7
You have enough and should get 2 IEM pairs that complement eachother:

- a planar---the Letshuoer S12pro: great soundstage, resolution, base quality,and amazing dynamics.Just a bit harder to drive.

- something fun offering amazing sound for the buck---the Kiwi Ears Cadenza: great slamming base yet warm and clean midrange and smooth but very adequate treble.

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm kinda new to IEMs too, coming from open backs. (6XX, Ghost, 560s). It seems to me the IEM world loves bass. There's a lot of talk about how hard the bass is hitting in forums and reviews. So coming from HD600 800 etc I suggest you stay away from the really bassy IEMs to start with. Seems like a lot of the IEMs with xHBB in the name are on the bassy side. I tried the QKZxHBB and my EQ is in the picture.
Edit:typo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_153255_Poweramp Equalizer.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_153255_Poweramp Equalizer.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back