New to IEMs. Need suggestions
Feb 26, 2009 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fghtffyrobesity

100+ Head-Fier
For the past two months I have been looking into fullsize headphones but I am now thinking that an IEM might be better for me.

I am looking for something under $100. I listen to mostly indie music (modest mouse, brand new) and a bit of folk (iron and wine, bright eyes). I found out that Guitar Center has Shure SCL3's for sale for $60 but after reading up on them a bit found out they are lacking in bass. Is it worth spending an extra $40 and buying the SCL4's or is there something else all together for that price?

Any other recommendations for IEMs under $100 (but honestly would rather spend around $60-80) would be appriciated.

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 6
The Denon will please, very realistic sound, effortless dynamics. It's design is geared more towards critical listening at quiet volumes and in quiet rooms though. It has an attenuated bass and treble response, very akin to a car stereo's Loud feature, sounds right at quiet levels, no so right at moderate levels. Output capability is only about half of most other IEMs and the driver starts to distort on bass notes at just above medium levels. Isolation is very poor. These factors only play a roll depending on on your listening environment. It's an earphone I can really enjoy at home but not one that's tremendously usable on the city bus or other noisy place, at least relative to other earphones.

If you're not in specific need of IEMs and isolation, you can look into earbuds. Look at Yuin and the PK3, PK2, OK3, and OK2. Even the PK1 isn't a heck of a lot over $100 if your budget is flexible. Yuin makes some very nice sounding, very well balanced earphones, and you're pretty much guaranteed to get desirable results at any price point. They just don't have any IEMs.

Not quite in your price range, if you can swing $140, look at Phonak Audeo's PFE headphone. The sound quality is exceptional and does a lot of things very right.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 6
I bought the Shure SCL3 at guitar center and returned them 4 days later - they were awful. They were clear, with modest treble, but absolutely no bass. And yes, I had a proper fit with no problems going over the ear. They fit snug, which I like, but just didn't suit my taste in audio.

The V-moda vibes or the Nu-Force seem to be a popular choice around here in that price range.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the post mvw2, very helpful.

I think that an IEM would be best for me, due to the fact that earbuds always fall out. I will mostly be using these headphones at school, so slight isolation would be nice, just to keep out the noise of whispering and stuff and at work, where there are dishes clanking around all the time.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Since you meant under US$100, I highly recommend the Sony MDR-EX90LP (I'm listening to them right now as I type this
smile_phones.gif
). Thanks to that big 13.5 mm dynamic driver, the MDR-EX90LP has a very nice, balanced sound (extended, clear but not boomy bass, clear midrange, and good, not peaky treble).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back