New to high-end audio, needing some advice.
Dec 14, 2011 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

XS-Nitrogen

New Head-Fier

Hi, Head-Fi.

I've been lurking around here for a couple years and I'm still relatively new to high-end audio, having just upgraded from a PXC-450 and Total Bithead (My first "real" headphones and amp) to some HD650s. My current setup is my PC with an Auzentech Forte for the sound card, with the 650s plugged into the headphone port. They sound great like this - I haven't much to compare to, but even out of the box they were leaps and bounds ahead of my PXC-450s which were, to me, the definition of audio nirvana for the last two years. I have a Little Dot mkiii amp on the way as well - I've always wanted to try a tube amplifier of some sort, and the reviews I've read were enough to convince me to try it.

Like I said, I don't have the amp yet, but is there likely to be any benefit from using it over the Forte's headphone amp? What would be a good solution for connecting the sound card to the amp? I'm hesitant to shell out a lot of money for a DAC, but would there be a significant benefit to adding one to my setup? Is there anything I may have overlooked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back