New to HiFi - Need Recommendations
Oct 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pedro Moreira

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I'm from Portugal and I recently got blown away by the quality of some Beats headphones exhibited in a store. I could hear some details I've never heard before in a well known song of mine.

Now I got curious and want to replace my cheap headphones (ISK HP-980) by some higher quality ones and I hope you can help me.

So the characteristics should be:
- Should be sold in Portugal or, if not possible, on an european online store
- Should be around €150 or less
- Prefer closed back and over-ear
- Should be as good as possible for listening to Dio / Ozzy / Iron Maiden / Metallica and other metal types (I don't like those types of metal where you can't understand the vocalists' grunts)
- Will be used mainly connected to a Laptop so I guess they should be low impedance (no external amp)

I've been looking at the AT-M40X or AT-M50X or those Bayersomething.

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 14
Oct 20, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 14
Just to be clear, impedance isn't the deciding factor in whether the laptop can drive the headphones. You need to take a look at the sensitivity also.
Good point, I think it's 96db which changes things

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Ok, the reviews of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro were very positive overall, so I've just ordered the 80ohm version as you guys recommended.
There is a guy in a video that says they sound very good for metal too.

Thank you all, I will post back when they arrive.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 14
Wait a sec!
There are the fidelio x2 that are the best for price and your music genre !
EDIT: just went on amazon, the price was 175 but I don't know why now is 220... if you want the best you could wait the Black Friday cause in the amazon prime days the x2 price was like 120€, so thought about it and decide, you are still in time toerase that order on amazon asd

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 14
What are you saying 0_0
Search on amazon with other EU country cause now I am seeing x2 at 220€ but some days ago the price was 180!! And with prime days or Black Friday sale was even lower: 120/130€!!!

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 14
Yes indeed, the beyer were my first pick when I had to decide what cans pick, but I saw fidelio at 120 so I went for it.
... obviously that was the price for the amazon prime days, so the day after when I went to pay them the price was back to 180... so I ve waited some days and massdrop announced the he400i for 160€ and I went for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back